Twenty

Twenty

I let out a sigh as I built up my confidence to get everything set straight in my head before I had to deliver the words back to Louis. I had all day to get myself ready for this phone call, and I even felt a little bit excited because I was going to tell Louis that it was potentially good news for his daughter. I only think of it as potential because all Niall, Louis, and I, were all going to be nervous when Grace's surgery actually happened. We won't be calm again until Grace is happy and healthy.

"Hello?" When I heard Louis' voice, my thoughts seemed to flee in fear from my brain. I didn't know what

"Hey, Louis. It's Harry. Is this a bad time?" I asked him and then I looked up over to the staircase, wondering if I'd hear anything from Grace from her bedroom.

Niall was with her now, putting her to bed for the night. I was calling Louis after we finished up with eating and I knew it probably would have been a better idea if I had done it while Grace was napping like I originally planned. I just put it off until now to make sure someone was around to keep an eye on Grace while I was on the phone.

"No, not at all." I heard a small chuckle crackle through the speaker from Louis. "How are things going? Is my little miss being a little terror? His tone was joking around with me, even though Grace did have her moments where we thought she'd could turn into a mini Godzilla.

"Things are going well. Niall's upstairs with her right now putting her down for the night. She had a busy day today and it took a lot out of her." I said, not helping but to smile.

I took another glance up the stairs to notice that Niall was walking down them right then and then he sat himself down next to me, mouthing "Louis?".

I nodded my head while listening to Louis as he asked me about her doctor's appointment. He seemed a bit apprehensive as he asked me and I would probably be the same if I was Grace's father and I was in the position to send her off with another family for her medical care.

"Well, Dr. Payne checked on her vitals and didn't think she needed to have any updated scans. I guess that means that everything is still good. Then he started to explain to me about how he would be performing the surgery." I paused, letting Louis hear that Grace was in the clear to get the surgery she needed.

"She is? Wow. I-" He let out a breath and I let out a chuckle of my own as Louis began voicing his thoughts. "This is really happening. When in this happening? Did he say?"

We both looked to each other. Niall must have been able to hear Louis from where he was sat, who was nodding to me to continue tell Louis everything about it.

"Yeah, it's really happening and I was able to schedule her surgery before we left. It's going to be in two weeks, unless something else comes up for the doctor. Um, he explained to me exactly what he'd be doing. Do you need to know anything about that?

"Yeah," Louis agreed. "I know all about it. He's doing the small repair with the patch, right?"

"That would be the one." I told him with a light tone because I probably shouldn't have been so surprised that Louis knew just as much as the doctor did. How could he not?

"Let's just say a concerned father always overlooks through all of his options for what he can do for his children. The surgery sounds quite simple but it's actually quite extensive. It's insane really."

"After the surgery is done and she's in recovery, Dr. Payne wants to keep her there for a few days and I didn't know how long our contract gives us to have Grace during that time." I told him as I repositioned my posture on the couch, feeling a little bit more relaxed now that I've been able to tell Louis that the surgery was a definite go.