Twenty-Eight

Twenty-Eight

To say we were a bit stressed over the time that Grace was at home continuing her recovery would be an understatement. The first few days we I was quite apprehensive, even though I had Niall with me to help out and he was very helpful, especially when it came to distracting Grace from things such as her dressing changes and when we had to give her medicine. I had no idea how it felt to have an incision but I knew it was making Grace unhappy.

As always, I like to follow lists exactly the way that they're written out for me. Niall tried to carefully explain to me that I didn't have to, which annoyed me a bit because how could he not want to make sure everything went perfectly for Grace?

Maybe I was just moody from my lack of sleep from worrying that something was going to happen to Grace at night and she wasn't in the hospital where she could be helped. A few nights I actually went back to setting up blankets on the floor and trying to sleep in Grace's room, leaving Niall to the bed in our room.

I always made sure that I'd regroup and go tell Niall that I was sorry if I ever snapped at him or something. I wasn't going to cause the strain between us all over again. I wouldn't have that. Luckily, Niall was very understanding and even thought he should apologise to me for going back to work too soon. it wasn't too soon. Nothing could be seen as too soon now.

Grace is doing well though. She's slowly coming back to her regular self. Each day I didn't know what to expect from Grace. Would she continue moving forward or was there still a chance of a setback? It was difficult to tell because she was rather grumpy in the mornings. I think that was because she couldn't sleep on her stomach or else she would press down on her incision. I also made sure that when she slept she didn't roll over onto it.

I've called up Louis every two days on Grace's project, each call getting him more and more excited that Grace would be coming home to him. He asked all the questions he could about caring for her and I promised him we would be sending him all of the papers we received the hospital. I was sure he could handle everything without a problem.

Also, as days drew nearer to them reuniting, I let Grace have to the phone so she could hear Louis' voice, Louis talking to her so happily. All Grace was doing was saying 'hi' over and over and that was more than enough for Louis.

There were just four more days until we'd be handing her back to Louis. I couldn't let my feelings of missing her triumph over my feelings that we did something incredible for someone else who really needed a miracle. We were the Tomlinson's miracle and they were ours.

The plan was to meet up in the same restaurant lot that we were at when Grace was handed over to us. It felt a little bit like our meet up spot. I had no clue if we'd ever go back there again but we never knew if we'd be in their future. Also, Zayn was going to be there, not only to make sure we don't kidnap Grace or anything, but to see all of us and how we're all doing. I'm sure he'd want to see Grace mostly, how could someone not want to see her?

Now, Grace was having her nap while I was cleaning up around the kitchen, putting clean dishes away and washing the dirty ones. I also made Grace a bottle of milk that she could have after her lunch.

I let out a sigh, rolling my shoulders back and forwards to get them to stop being sore from working in the deep sink. I placed a damp towel down onto the counter before I walked into the front room. Her nap would be finished soon and I had left the baby monitor by the computer while I was going through my work emails.

I would be going back to work soon and I was so used to caring for a child that I didn't miss work at all. I was going to miss the days I had like these. I felt more useful and important having the job as a parent.