Twenty-Three

Twenty-Three

Out of all of us I think Grace was the only one who got a solid few hours of rest. it's easier for her to sleep through the nights because she isn't afraid of what she has yet to face. She won't be afraid until things she doesn't understand start to happen, as well as the pain.

It was those thoughts and images of Grace in pain that kept me up. As soon as I would close my eyes, I could see a nurse taking her from my arms and Grace was looking to me from over the nurse's shoulder. Grace started crying, face red, tears unable to stop rolling down her once bright face. During her wails, her arms would stretch out, reaching for me like I was the only one who could save her from all of this. I was the one who was putting her through this.

I was able to worry myself so much that I made myself ill, which kept me awake even more. I had a terrible headache and my stomach felt like it was being flipped and twisted endlessly.

When I got up from bed one time to make sure I didn't get ill all over the bed, I noticed that Niall was still sleeping. We had fallen asleep in each other's arms, which was only around a half hour ago since I woke up with Grace's fear haunting me. I wish I was able to see his thoughts, the ones that let him continue on sleeping. By the time I was able to fall back asleep, it felt like only minutes before Niall's alarm on his phone scared me awake.

It was still dark outside when I left the room to go wake Grace up, way earlier than I knew she wanted to be. I actually didn't really know how to wake her up but I knew I wanted to be very gentle with her. I started off by whispering her name and stroking my fingers up and down her back like Niall did whenever he was trying to get Grace to slip away into sleep.

Grace woke up slowly, and I must confess that I thought it looked rather strange to watch a baby being woken up. It didn't feel natural because it was force.

Niall came into her room after he was all dressed. He told me he would take things from there while I left to go get ready. I didn't want to leave her. I wouldn't want to for the rest of our time with her.

My thoughts were still scattered as I tried my best to focus on the small things I had to do like get dressed and wash up my face. I wasn't successful because I kept looking over to the baby monitor, wanting to hear grace so I had some sort of excuse to get back to her.

Once I was finished taking care of myself, I went back to Grace's room to go take care of the person I wanted to the most. When I walked into the room Niall had Grace dressed in a clean sleeping onesie and he let out a breathy chuckle when he saw me because Grace was already fast asleep again.

I grabbed one of her blankets and Baa, thinking he was her still all time favourite and she'd want him in the hospital. I hoped that Baa would be able to protect her. While Grace was away in surgery I wanted to promise her that I'd watch over Baa for her.

The rest of the early morning was a scramble to make sure we had everything else we needed and packed everything up in the car, Grace being the last because we kept having to go back in the house to retrieve things and Niall made sure that we both had a little something to eat.

On the drive over to the hospital, Grace was still sleeping. Niall tried to make small talk with me but my attention didn't allow anything to break it. It needed to be used to prepare for anything that could possibly happen today and I had to tell myself not to cry just from the sight of Grace taking up a hospital bed and being hooked up to machines with tubes connected to her.

Before we got out of the car, Niall stopped me from leaving. He placed his hand on my arm lightly, his hand finding my own and holding it with a small squeeze."She's gonna be okay, Harry. You're going to be okay." He promised and I would hate the world if he wasn't able to keep to it.