18

I called Harry a few times to warn him with my appearance, but it was useless. His phone went straight to voicemail each time.

My mom waited with me at the elevator

My mom waited with me at the elevator. Both of us were hoping it would open soon since we didn't have an access card to his building. However, I did have the key to his apartment that he left me this morning.

Finally, the elevator opened in the car garage and we walked inside to go up to his floor. My mother was strangely silent until she asked who we were going to see...again.

"Harry," I bit the inside of my cheek. It would be the first time she was ever meeting someone I was remotely interested in romantically. Even if my feelings for him were complicated right now.

"And he is?"

"Dr. Topalli's teaching assistant slash office manager..." I dragged on while staring at the doors of the elevator wishing them to open as soon as they could.

"Jesus... Are you seeing him?" she smirked at me, but it made me sick to have her know someone that I cared about.

"No," I turned and looked at her, not giving her anything she could use to her advantage if it came to that.

The doors dinged open and I rushed down the hallway not waiting for her. I stuck the key in the lock and twisted the door handle. It opened but soon slammed shut. Harry!

"Harry..." I felt my hands shake and my voice tremble knowing that it was him. He was inside. He was far away from Dr. Topalli. "Harry, it's Emilia! Please! Please open the door. Let me in! I need to talk."

I banged my fist on the door multiple times until it felt like it was bruising.

My mom waited for me to stop and I wasn't sure how long it took me to give up, but even then I wasn't ready to leave.

"Whatever you do, don't leave. Don't leave without telling me goodbye," I mumbled pressing my forehead against the doorframe and wiggling the door handle one last time. If my mom didn't guess that we were seeing each other, she definitely knew now.

It surprised me when I watched it open to see Harry's lean body standing in front of me. It felt like I hadn't seen him in days when I had just spent the night with him.

"Harry," I reached to touch him but he grabbed my hands in one of his and kept me outside his apartment refusing to welcome me in. His eyes stayed on my mother and utter disgust crossed his face.

"Go, and don't come back," he broke his glare at my mom and cradled his hand on my cheek. "Don't come here. Don't call me. Stay somewhere other than your apartment and stay away from her."

"I need to know what is going on," tears pooled in my eyes as I desperately clung onto everything he said.

"You're not safe with me, Emilia. I don't know if you ever will be," his eyes stared down the hallway in both directions