Chapter 45 - I promise...(Part 2)

@Junior_98 - Thank you for your enthusiasm and support towards FKBP. Truly appreciate it :)

_________________________________________________________

The man in a suit walked in and took a seat at the head of the table.

"I see all of you don't need introductions. Everyone knows everyone in this little town anyways. But, am afraid not everyone knows me. I am Steve Andrews.  In business circles I'm known as Big Steve." His hand gestured towards Vanya. "I'm a businessman and we are here for a business meeting. This man here...what's his name?" He asked no one is particular, and a thug jumped in with, "Daniel".

"Ah Daniel! Danny here owed me a debt and without clearing it the boy vanished for four years. Unpaid debt gives me ulcers. His boss, the beautiful Vanya has offered to come to his rescue but says she has a stipulation. Now, I don't usually listen, but we've done too much business together not to heed her request. I don't really care what it is since it has nothing to do with me. I'll give you an hour for you to come to an understanding. At the end of the hour, I need my cash, which is hundred times more than what he owed when he left. Seems fair, since it has to compensate for my ulcers." He grinned and left the room.

I wasn't fooled by his grin, he meant business alright - just not the kind that was within the law.

Vanya heaved a long sigh and gestured with a flick of her wrist to the men standing guard. The tape was ripped off Daniel's mouth, a cloth ball popping out onto the floor, and a painful wail wrenched out his throat. I shuddered and staggered back as he thrashed against the chair, screaming himself hoarse till he slumped, exhausted.

"Give him some water," demanded Aryan, but no one moved. "Give him some water now or there'll be no talking! I know what you want mother dear, so don't pretend as if there's nothing in this for you. Water, now!" he lashed out, and I saw Vanya flinch before she composed herself.

Another flick of her bejeweled wrist, and a man appeared at the door with a jug of water.

"I'll give it to him," I said, cursing myself for sounding so meek.

I reached forward for the jug; he handed it to me, after a nod from Vanya.

My hands shook as I knelt in front of my brother-in-law, and my heart wept for him and Vidhi. I was glad my sister wasn't here to see him suffer this way. She would have died a thousand deaths. Even before taking a sip out of the jug, his throat worked to say something. I strained my ears to hear him ask for Vidhi.

"She is fine; she is with my parents...our parents." I smiled reassuringly, looking into his eyes.

His one eye that I could see clearly held relief. "Dia..." he croaked, and I nodded.

"Yes, I'm Divya, Vidhi's sister," I said, but he shook his head.

"No, really I am," I said, crossing my hand over my heart.

Aryan knelt beside me and took the jug from my hands. "First drink the water Danny, then we'll talk," he said.

"Dia," the name once again scraped out of his parched throat making me frown.

"Dia is fine, Danny; she is safe with her mother and grandparents," I heard Aryan say, and my breath whooshed out of my lungs.

I looked wide-eyed at Aryan and then at Daniel, whose eyes brimmed with tears.

"Dia..." I whispered and clamped my hands over my mouth. "Vidhi has a daughter," I said in awe.

"We don't have all day," Vanya's voice sounded like a whip. "Hurry up!"