Chapter 38 - Teaming up against Vanya

@My_Vision_97 - Thank you for your lovely words about FKBP and your incredible support. They make me smile :)

________________________________________________________

If Aryan hadn’t arrived when he had, and if I hadn’t felt his arms around me, tasted his calm strength in the way he kissed me, I would have ended up smacking the smirk off that woman’s face once and for all. It had taken an hour long lecture from Jai and Sam about restraint being the need of the hour instead of outright confrontation, for me to stand in front of her with my hands tied and words measured.

It took all my will power not to turn around, walk back into that vicious den of the evil queen and do what I really wanted to do. People who thought problems couldn’t be solved by violence, didn’t know how to form fists, and I more than knew how. Even the lingering taste of Aryan’s lips on mine, couldn’t quench my thirst for revenge. It whetted my appetite for retribution as the quiet assurance in his touch failed to mask the misery in his eyes.

Vanya had hurt him badly; hurt was a small word for the kind of torture he had gone through at her hands – both emotional and physical. The scars that marred his skin, the ones he had shown me, were the only wounds that had healed. The ones he had kept hidden from me for so many years were still painfully raw and red – those were the ones that slipped through his careful countenance just for a second when I had turned around to see him stand exposed at her door.

As I dragged my feet towards home, I could feel my body vibrate with the need to run back to Ary, wrap him in my arms and take him far away from her forever.  I almost did when I felt myself turned around and pulled into a tight hug. Blinded by tears and a sudden exhaustion taking over my body, I collapsed against the warmth of the person that hugged me tight. Inhaling the overwhelmingly familiar floral scent of Annie’s perfume, I let myself be dragged and gently dropped into a bed of cushions I grudgingly welcomed.

“Did you get it?” Jai’s eager voice interrupted my forced reprieve.

“Jai…” warned Annie. “Can’t you see how pale she is? It can wait.”

“No…” I said weakly, blinking away the teardrops that clung to my eyelids.

A blurred version of Kira stuck a long glass to my lips and made me gulp down freshly squeezed orange juice.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, and Kira smacked a kiss on my cheek.

“So, did you get it?” This time it was Sam who sounded his impatient self.

“I don’t think…” Annie started objecting once again.

“We know you don’t, Anna. Now shut the hell up and let her speak. She’s pale, not dead!”

“It’s Annie,” corrected my best friend in the meekest voice I have ever heard her use.

“Mind your tone with her,” Jai warned Sam, and I felt a headache creeping up on me.

“Or what, Romeo?” Hell would freeze over before Sam backed away from a fight. “Does Aryan know about your crush on his little sister?”

I saw Jai and Annie tense at the mention of Aryan, and I quickly sat up.

“Guys, just back-off from each other! This is hardly the time.” I glared at Sam, and then turned towards Annie. “I’m fine,” I said softly, squeezing her hand.

“Yeah yeah, you’re fine. We are all fucking fine. Now out with it,” thundered Sam, and I sighed, dropping Annie’s hand.

“It wouldn’t kill you to be nice once in a while,” I suggested to a stern looking Sam and handed the phone to Jai.