Chapter 33 - My dreaded face-off with Aryan

This is one of my favorite chapters and an important one. So, its only fitting that I dedicate it to one of my favorite authors on Wattpad - Sally Slater. She needs no introduction; her epic fantasy novel 'Paladin' is THE best of its genre on the site. Thanks Sally, for being an inspiration and an amazing person. I look forward to the day I get to hold the signed copy of 'Paladin' in my hands :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time stood suspended as the only sound in the room - our racing hearts and heavy breathing - amplified to drown out the clock’s tick-tock. After what seemed like ages, Aryan took a step forward, and I reflexively took a step back but stopped mid-step. I dragged my back foot to stamp down beside the other one, refusing to give in to the picture of fierce intimidation that was Aryan.

His eyes narrowed, masking a tiny spark of admiration, and a hint of a smirk grazed the corner of his lips. He threw down the crutch with calmness, belying the thunder which raged between us and moved towards me as sleek as a panther on a prowl. My body responded to the wild sensuality he presented, and it took all my will power to stand my ground without turning to dust. I had wanted the wild Ary back, and I was in luck.

I knew I had pissed him off with the last message I sent him. He didn’t respond to threat well, same as me, and I had compounded the mistake by throwing Annie into the loop. If there was one person he would have sorely missed during his absence, it was Annie. He had taken his time bonding with her. Once he had, he was only too happy to don the role of the over-protective brother who doted on his little sister. He had taken his role a bit too seriously at times, annoying the crap out of me. But he wouldn’t relent, no matter our heated discussions over the topic. He was here now, seething with suppressed anger because deep down, he knew I had the power to go through with my threat.

I straightened and folded my arms across my chest, as he came to stand in front of me. Anger rolled off his six foot long frame, and his left hand fisted around his wallet. He tossed it to me, none too gently. It was pure reflex and my dedicated training at Triple F that allowed me to catch the damn thing before it hit me.

“Are you done snooping through my wallet or is there something else you need to check?” His voice was sickly sweet, but his clenched jaw told a different story. “Go ahead, take a look. Maybe you didn’t have enough time before you ran out on me this morning.”

My guilt at searching his wallet faded with the last bit of accusation he threw at me. When he had thundered into the room, part of me wanted to say sorry for threatening him. It was uncalled for, and I regretted it the minute I had time to think clearly. But now, I would be damned if he got a sorry out of me. I tossed his precious wallet at his feet and marched to the door, flinging it wide open.

“I’m not interested in your damn wallet. Take it and leave.” I stood next to the door and looked at him. His eyes darkened as seconds stretched.

“When did you decide that? After taking my stuff from it? Is that why you came all the way to the farmhouse, Div?”

My mouth dropped open at his theory. “Are you serious? You think I drove all the way there to sniff through your wallet? Is your brain fractured too?”

“Why did you come?” he asked, his voice dropping down several notches to sound softer than before, and I gaped at him.

“Doesn’t matter! Here, take your stuff, and leave.” I handed him the crumpled visiting card and the yellow notes. I had read them so many times; I could repeat them in my sleep.

I stiffened as he sauntered to stand in front of me, his arm reaching out to take the papers from my hand. He held the visiting card in his hand, smoothening it out with care, and stared at it. It shocked me to see his eyes fill with sadness, and a sharp ache spread through me.