nine

after just over an hour, we were back. the veterinarian there told us that she couldn't properly diagnose maggie since we didn't take her with us, but her symptoms did seem to point to roundworms. as long as the medicine worked, my girl would be okay.

as we got back to my flat, phil walked inside and hurriedly tried to get magnolia to drink the antibiotic while i slumped on the couch, exhausted even though i haven't really done anything.

phil was softly speaking to my dog, pleading with her to take her medicine. it seemed to have worked because i heard him say, "that's a good girl," several times over.

he sat next to me on the couch. "you know, have i ever mentioned that you are possibly the kindest person in the world?" i asked him.

he laughed, seeming surprised. "i can't say that you have. i can't say that it's true either,"

"no but seriously, what kind of person abandons their job just to travel across the city and get medicine for someone's sick dog?"

"someone who likes dogs?" phil asked. we both laughed a little. he spoke again. "i do love dogs, but...any excuse to see you is a good excuse to me. and you need maggie."

i stretched and yawned in my attempt to distract myself from blushing. "psh, why would you want to see me?"

"you're adorable, and i have a little crush on you."

i made a very inhuman noise, something inbetween a grunt and a laugh. he has a crush on me? i could hardly believe my ears.

"is that okay?" phil said, laughing at my noise.

i nodded my head vigorously. "yes. definitely okay. more than okay."

phil put his arm around me. "okay, good. tv?"

i nodded, feeling my cheeks turn red from being in phil's warm arms. i had never felt these kind of emotions for another human being before.

phil turned on the tv and i listened. some kind of reality show was on, but i barely got time to figure out what it was before i felt my eyelids getting heavy. there was something about phil that always made me want to go to sleep; perhaps it was how comfortable and secure he made me feel.

i turned my body more towards him and rested my hand on his chest, right above his heart. i fell asleep to its steady beating.