Chapter 25

Jake stepped to the side, letting her come in. He closed the door, blocking out the wind. She stared at him as she dripped water onto the flood.

“I’ll get some dry clothes.” He said, tearing his eyes away from her face. She looked so cold.

“Jake.”

He looked back at her as he reached his room. “Yeah?”

“Thank you, for caring.”

He smiled. “I always will.” He stepped into his room.

She took her shoes off, they had water in them. Great, she thought. They will take forever to dry. She pulled her socks off as Jake walked out of his room. He was holding a hoodie and sweat pants.

“They’ll be a little big.” He handed them to her. “But they’re dry.”

“Thanks.” She held them away from her body, trying not to get them wet.

“I’ll be in the living room, if you need anything.” He walked down the hall, turning lights on and forcing himself not to look back.

Chloe stepped into his room and shimmed out of her wet shorts and pulled the pants on. They hung low on her hips. She glanced in the mirror as she reached for her shirt. Her dark hair was plastered to her face, making her look even paler than she was. She had dark circles under her eyes, caused by too many sleepless nights. She looked thinner, she had lost weight since she’d been here. She lifted her shirt up, stopping when it reached her side. She had a bruise in the shape of a hand on her ribs. How had that gotten there? Jasper. It must be from him. She lifted her shirt a little higher, she could see the edge of the scare on her shoulder. It almost looked like claw marks. She tried to move her arms high, but couldn’t. Her shirt was stuck. She had moved to closer to Jake’s dresser and her shirt was caught on it.

“Jake.” She called out the door. She heard him walking down the hall.

“What’s,” his voice trailed off when he saw her. His eyes on the bruise. “What happened?”

She turned slightly, angling her body away so he couldn’t see it. “My shirt, its stuck.”

He was beside her in two steps, his eyes on her shirt. He jerked it off the dresser. “Its off.”

“Thanks.” She lifted it over her head and reached for her hoodie.

He put his hand on her arm, stopping her. “How?” He ask, reaching for the bruise.

She stepped back, just out of his reach. “It was an accident. I’m fine.”

Jake stepped towards her, his hand on the bruise. “You’re freezing.” His eyes flashed to hers. “Your skin feels like ice.”

“I’m just a little cold.” She pulled the hoodie on, looking away.

“How long were you outside?” He demanded.

“Not very long.” Chloe insisted. “I’m fine. I just need to warm up.”

“Like hell you do.” He pulled her against him. “You’re going to be sick if I don’t warm to you.”

She rolled her eyes. “Is that what you tell all the girls?”

“There are no other girls, just you.” He said quietly. “Did you walk the whole way here?”

“I didn’t want to wake anyone up.” Chloe said. “Besides, I didn’t think you’d be awake.”

“Had you just planned on standing outside my room all night?” He asked, smirking.

“No.” She put her hands on his chest. She smirked with he flinched. “I was just going to leave.”

“I’m glad you didn’t.” He looked at her for a moment. “Does Alice know?”

“There’s nothing for Alice to know.” She said quickly.

“Don’t lie to me Chloe, I can smell him on you.” He said. “Does she know?”

“No,” she admitted. “She won’t know. Its over.”

Jake frowned, “why? What happened?”

“He lied to me.” She stepped away. “Everyone lies to me. I just whish one person here would be honest with me.”

“I’ll be honest with you,” he said, watching her. “Ask me anything.”

“Its not the simple. You’ve lied to me so many times, everyone has.”

“Did you every think that maybe we are just trying to protect you?” He closed the distance between them. “Sometimes you lie to protect the people you love.”

“You shouldn’t have to. If you truly loved them you would tell them the truth.”

“Then why didn’t you tell Bella that Edward had been lying to her?” He asked. “Didn’t she deserve the truth?”

“It wasn’t my place to tell her. I didn’t want to get involved.”

“Exactly. It wasn’t my place to tell you, and I didn’t think you’d believe me. But beyond that, I was not allowed to tell you. Its forbidden to tell anyone what we are.” He smiled faintly. “That’s why I made sure you heard my phone call.”

“What?” Chloe’s eyes widened. “You knew I was awake.”

“Yeah, you needed to know the truth. But I couldn’t tell you.” He smirked. “You figured it out on your own.”

She looked back at him for a minute before she looked away. She could almost feel the temperature in the room rising. “I should go, its really late.”

“I can’t let you leave, not until it stops raining.” He said. He touched her wet hair. “You’re still cold.” His hand brushed her cheek and stopped on her neck. “I could help you warm up.”

“Jake, this isn’t a good idea.” She said, forcing herself not to touch him.

“But it could be. It could be a great idea.” His eyes flickered to her lips. “Just one kiss, for luck tomorrow.”

“Just one.” She agreed. He stopped closer, gently pressing his lips to hers. She kissed him back for a few seconds then stepped away. “That’s one,” she whispered.

“One more,” he begged.

“No,” she took another step back. “I have to go and you need to sleep.”

“Stay, I’ll sleep on the couch.”

“Alright,” she said. “But wake me up before you leave.”

“Deal.” He grinned. “Good night, Chloe.”

“’Night, Jake.” She stepped over to his bed as he walked out, turning the light off.

A/N

Here is chapter 25, as promised!!!

Thank you for the comments and votes!!

I will tell you that Chloe will end up with someone at the end, but it may not be either Jake or Jasper. You'll just have to keep reading to find out!!

Teaser for next chapter: Chloe gets a bite of the action

Next chapter will be dedicated to whoever comments first!

Chapter 26 will be up on Tuesday, or Monday if I get 10 comments and 10 votes!

Remember to vote and comment!!