Chapter 13

A/N Chloe's dress >>>>>>>>

     The next week was awkward to say the least. AT school I did my best to avoid Edward, which was hard considering he was in half my classes, and I tried to find time to talk to Bella. I knew Edward hadn’t told her the truth yet and he seemed to be going out of his way to keep her away from me, but she was oblivious. To make things worse it was the week of prom and every senior had a date, except for me. Not that I really cared but no one even asked me. It seemed like someone had told all the senior guys not to ask.

     Yesterday at school everyone said they were excited for prom and couldn’t wait to see my dress. I wanted to tell them that something came up and I couldn’t go. School dances weren’t really my thing and I needed to talk to Bella.

     “Chloe,” Bella was standing in my door way. “Have fun tonight.”

     I forced myself to smile, “thanks. Hey, when I get back, can we talk?”

     “Sure,” she smiled. “You better hurry up; you don’t want to be late.”

     I nodded as Bella left and closed the door behind her. So much for not going, but at least I didn’t have to stay long.

     30 minutes later I stared into mirror. My hair was curled; I had on minimal make up, and red lipstick. I smoothed my hands down my long, sequin black dress. It was the one fancy dress I brought with me and I was glad I had. It was my favorite dress and if I was forced to go I might as well look good.

     “Chloe,” Bella called up the stairs. “Your date is here.”

     I stared at the closed door. What date? My stare turned into a glare, Bella must have set me up with someone. If it was Mike I would never speak to her again. I grabbed my phone and headed towards the steps.

     I was halfway down the stairs before I saw him. He was standing just inside the door, looking very uncomfortable in his suit. His eyes met mine and widened slightly.

     “Hi, Jake.” I said, keeping all emotion out of my voice. I wouldn’t let him know I was happy to see him, or that I had saved all the messages he had left on my phone just so I could hear his voice.

      He swallowed hard, “hi. You look amazing.”

     “Thanks,” I said as I reached the bottom of the stairs, my eyes still on his. Why was he here?

     “We should go,” he said, looking away.

      I nodded, “see you later, Bella,” I said as I followed him outside. I saw his truck in the drive way. “No bike?” I asked as he opened my door.

     “I didn’t want you to get your dress dirty,” he said, smiling slightly.

     I smiled faintly and got in, closing the door behind me. We were half way to school before either of us spoke.

     “So what did Bella bribe you with?” I asked, only slightly joking. There was no way he was willingly taking me to prom, not after I acted the last time I saw him.

     “I volunteered.”

      I stared at him for a minute, trying to ignore how incredibly hot he looked in his suit. “Why?”

      He looked at me as he parked. “I needed to talk to you, and with you ignoring my calls I didn’t know what else to do."

      I looked down at my hands then back at him, “ok, I’m listening.”