Chapter 15

I woke the next morning to Bella arguing with someone. I stumbled out of bed and down the stairs to see Alice.

      “Hi Chloe,” she smiled. “Bella and I were just talking about the graduation party I’m having for both of you.” Bella shot her a glare. “Make sure you wear something nice, and sparkly.”

     “Ok, sure,” I forced a smile. Bella didn’t look very happy about the idea of a party.

     “How was prom?” Bella asked. “You went to bed before I could ask last night.”

      “It was fine,” I opened the fridge and pulled out the orange juice. “The decorations were great.”

     “Did you have fun with Jake?”

     I almost dropped the cup I was holding and I knew Alice noticed. Did I have fun with Jake? Absolutely, though fun is not exactly how I would describe it. “Yeah,” I said, “but he’s a horrible dancer.”

     Bella laughed, “thar does not surprise me.”

     “I better get going,” Alice said as she stood. “I’ll see you both at school tomorrow.”

     I nodded, “bye, Alice.”

     Bella stood shortly after Alice left, “I need to go too.”

     I finished me juice, “ok.”

     “Are you going to be ok here?”

     I rolled my eyes, “I’ll be fine. Really Bella, I can take care of myself. I have a few things I need to get done anyway.”

     Bella nodded and gathered up her things. “If you need anything, call.” I nodded, promising I would as she left. I was alone at last. I sprinted up the stairs to my room and grabbed my laptop.

     I had been researching werewolf and vampire legends for almost two hours when I heard the front door open. I knew it was Bella because Charlie had been home for almost an hour. I headed down stairs as I heard Jake. What was he doing here?

     “Bella,” my eyes widened when I reached the bottom of the stairs, her hand was swollen. “What happened to your hand?”

      “It hit something hard.” Bella shot Jake a glare.

     “I kissed her so she punched me,” he said, laughing slightly. I stared at him dumbly for a minute. He kissed her? How could he kiss her after last night, after what we would have done had we stayed in the water.

     “You better get some ice for that,” I pushed past Jake, giving him an icy glare and followed Bella into the kitchen.

     “He’s not coming to the party,” Bella spat as she put ice on her hand, wincing.

     “Ok,” I heard the front door close, he must have left. Maybe Charlie kicked him out. “Maybe you should get an x-ray. That looks pretty bad.”

     Bella looked down at her hand and sighed. “You’re probably right. I’ll have dad take me. I don’t know why he did, it’s like he just wanted me to be mad at him.”

      I just nodded, there wasn’t anything to say. Charlie walked into the kitchen, took one look at Bella’s hand and insisted on taking her to the hospital immediately.

     I waited until they left then headed back up stairs. How could he kiss her? Didn’t last night mean anything to him? I knew I told him there couldn’t be anything between us, but still he bounced back for that very quickly.