Chapter 2

Something cold was on my forehead. I slowly opened my eyes. Bella was sitting beside me, holding my hand. She looked worried. I looked around the room. It was white. Where was I? My eyes finally landed on the person standing on my other side. It was a man. He looked like a movie star or a Greek god that had just stepped out of a mythology book. I stared at him for a moment. He was wearing a white jacket. A doctor, he was a doctor. That meant I was in a hospital. My eyes instantly went back to Bella.

     “My parents?” My voice sounded weak, very weak. She smiled, that was a good sign. I hoped.

     “I haven’t called them yet.” I tried to smile; I hoped it wasn’t too faint to see.

    “How are you feeling?” My eyes drifted back to the Greek god. Who was he? He didn’t look old enough to be a doctor.

     “Tired,” I said weakly. “What happened?” The last thing I remembered was something cold and hard grabbing me.

     “You fainted in the cafeteria,” that was Alice. What was she doing here? I looked around the room. She was standing just inside the door with Edward and Jasper. They all looked concerned, though Alice looked more confused than concerned.

     “Passed out,” I corrected. I never fainted. But passing out was a different story. The doctors thought the fresh air would help. Apparently they were wrong. I had been passing out occasionally for years. The first time I remember it happening was when I was in Italy with my parents when I was ten. I just collapsed. Since then it had happened about once or twice a year, with no warning and no apparent cause. My mother thought that I was just faking it to get attention. But I wasn’t. I had been taken to every specialist known to man and no one could figure out what was wrong with me.

     “Have you been sleeping and eating regularly?” I looked back at the doctor. I couldn’t really remember. Everything seemed a bit fuzzy.

     “I think so. I didn’t eat breakfast. I got here yesterday, it’s probably just a bit of jetlag.” I had to get out of here. Hospitals creep me out. He smiled.

     “You seem fine. Bella is going to take you home. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or can’t sleep, call me.” He handed me his card. I looked at it. Carlisle Cullen. Cullen? I looked up at him.

     “Cullen? Are you related to Edward?” Apparently it was a stupid question. Bella was smirking.

     “Yes, I’m his father.” I stared at him. He was Edward’s father? But they looked nothing alike. And he didn’t look old enough to have a son in high school.

     “Well, thank you, Doctor Cullen.” I looked at Bella, “we better go before you dad calls my parents.”

     “Chloe,” I looked back at the doctor. “Please, call me Carlisle.” I smiled and nodded.

     Bella closed the door behind us. We were back at her house and I had spent half the day in the hospital. It could be worse I guess, I could have had to spend all afternoon in classes with Edward.