Chapter 23

I opened my eyes a few hours later, it was almost 5 A.M. What had woken me up? I climbed out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom, not bothering to turn any of the lights on. I might as well get me shower now, before Bella used all the hot water.

I stepped out of the shower twenty minutes later and dried off, the bathroom was full of steam. I wrapped my towel around me and stepped into the dark hall and walked the short distance to my room. The house as still quiet. I stepped into my room and closed the door. I walked over to my bed and turned the lap on, I wouldn’t be able to get dressed in the dark.

“Chloe.”

I jumped and pulled my towel tighter around me. Jake was sitting on the edge of my bed. “What are you doing in here? Are you crazy?” I hissed.

“I needed to see you.” He stood up and took a step towards me.

“Stay,” I stepped back. “Turn around so I can get dressed.”

His eyes widened, like he had just noticed I was only wearing a towel. “Right, sorry.” He turned around, a faint blush coloring his cheeks.

I grabbed clothes and quickly pulled shorts and a big hoodie on over my bra and underwear. “Ok, you can turn around.”

He turned slowly, “I guess I should have called first.”

“Yeah, that would have helped.” I pulled my wet hair up into a bun. “Why did you need to see me?”

“Victoria will be here in a few days and you have to be safe. I think it would be best if you come stay in La Push until all of this is over.”

“You’re joking, right?” I said. “I can’t come stay with you. I have to stay here. What about Charlie?”

“Charlie will be fine.” He insisted.

“You don’t know that, you can’t know that.” I stepped towards him. “I need to stay here to keep him safe.”

“You can’t keep him safe.” He said. “Chloe, you’ve been attacked three times. Alice can’t see anything related to you. If Victoria sends someone after you it will put Charlie in danger. You can’t stop a vampire.”

“So leaving will keep Charlie safe?” I asked.

He nodded, “it should. Alice doesn’t think he’s in any danger, at least that’s what she’s told Bella.”

“It should, great.” I sighed. “What else did Bella say?”

“What do you mean?” He frowned. “Say about what?”

“I heard you took her to the beach last night,” I said, trying not to sound hurt. “Did you have fun?”

“Chloe, it wasn’t like that.” He touched my arm. “It was just a picnic.”

I pulled away, “right. Just like we just went for a swim.”

“Chloe,” he stepped towards me again. “I thought we were past this.”

“Yeah, so did I.” I stepped away, my back touched the wall.

“Then what is this about? I thought we were friends,” he stepped towards me again.

I stepped away from the wall, towards him. “We are friends.” I sighed. “What am I going to tell Charlie?”

“About what?” he asked, confused.

“About why I’m leaving for a few days.” I said.

“Tell him you want to spend a few days with your friends before you fly home.” He looked down then back at me. “Unless you’ve decided not to leave.”