Chapter 37

I thought about telling Jake the truth but I couldn’t. He wouldn’t understand or worse he would agree with Edward. So I shrugged instead and told him another lie. “I don’t know, maybe he thought it would help Bella.”

He frowned like he didn’t believe me but he didn’t say anything. He pushed his door open and looked back at me. “Would you like to come in?”

I looked back at him. He looked older than he had just a few months ago. “Can I fix your hair?” I asked. It looked like he had cut it himself, without a mirror.

He grinned, “sure.”

I stepped out of the car and followed him in. The house was the same as I remembered it. It felt as if nothing had changed but I knew so much had. “Do you want to grab scissors and a chair and meet me in the back yard?” I asked as I shrugged my jacket off.

“Yeah,” he said as he kicked his shoes off.

I walked down the hall, glancing in Jake’s room as I passed. It was a mess, the bed wasn’t made, the floor was covered with clothes, but something about it looked different than before. The window was covered with a black sheet. Maybe he’s been having trouble sleeping. I pushed the door open and stepped outside.

“You’ve done this before, right?” Jake said as he stepped out and put the chair down.

“Duh,” I said taking the scissors from him. “Sit.”

“Where’d you go when you left?” Jake asked after a few minutes of silence.

I looked down at his hair, I was almost done. “Home.”

“No you didn’t. I called your parents.”

“You called my parents? Why?” I demanded.

“I was worried about you,” he said simply. “You just…left.”

I took a few deep breaths and ran my fingers through his hair. “Done.” I took a step back. “You didn’t have to worry. I was fine.”

“Why?” He asked as he stood. “Why did you leave? And don’t give me the crap about you wanting better for me or not belonging. You do belong here, we both know it.”

I looked down at the scissors in my hands, the bite on my arm was completely healed. “I needed space,” I said finally.

“Space from what?” Jake asked as he turned and looked up at me. “Bella said you left right after I got hurt.”

“You don’t remember?” I asked as I met his eyes.

“Not really, I vaguely remember you saying goodbye, but that’s it.” He reached up took this scissors out of my hands.

“I did say goodbye,” I said as I took a step back. “I should go.”

“Chloe,” Jake said as he stood. “Don’t push me away, please.” He dropped the scissors onto his chair and reached up, brushing his finger tips across my cheek.

“Jake, don’t,” I pleaded as I looked up at him. “I can’t be what you want.”

“You don’t know what I want,” he said quietly. “You’re not the only who’s changed.” He let his hand drop. “I’m not giving up on us Chloe, not yet.”

I stepped back. “You should,” I said. “You deserve better.”

“Maybe, but I know what I want.” He took a long step towards me. “And it hasn’t been Bella since I met you.”

I sighed and looked down. I knew he would change his mind eventually, he’d forget all about me. But I had to leave for him to do that. “Don’t say that.”

“Chloe.” I felt the air cool as he stepped back. “There’s something you need to know. If Bella…if she dies or Edward turns her it will mean war.”

“What? But she’s dying already.” I shook my head. “You know Edward would never intentionally hurt her.”

“Doesn’t matter, they agreed to this long ago.” Jake looked down then back at me. “If Bella dies the whole town will be caught in the middle of a war. She can’t die.”

I stepped back, feeling like I’d just been punched. Edward knew this. That’s why he asked for my blood. He thought I could stop the war. But it was too dangerous, he had to see that. I looked at Jake. He could die if there was a war, they could all die. I was the only one that might be able to stop it but if I tried Bella could still die.

 A/N

Hi everyone! I want to thank you all for reading my story and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update. Real life got in the way but I am going to do my best and update at least once a week so I can finish this before school starts again. 

Thank you so much for all your comments on the last chapter!