Forgiveness

Requested by fandomscout

Thank you so much for 13,5K, everyone! It means so much to me that people still read my silly oneshots. I hope you all enjoy this one, as well. 

Have an amazing day!

<♥>

''What brings you here, (Y/N)?'' Your therapist asked. 

You swallowed thickly, staring at your feet as tears threatened to spill. ''I- I...'' You couldn't get the words out of your mouth. 

''You can say it, (Y/N). This is a safe place,'' she assured you. 

You nodded, biting your lip as you finally dared to look into her eyes. ''I- I killed my best friend's wife.''

Tears slid down your cheeks as you stared out the window, rain softly tapping against the spotlessly clean glass. The memory of that fatal night last week came rushing to the surface and the images flashed in front of your eyes. 

It had been an innocent investigation at first, but as quickly as it had started, it turned into a whirlwind of action, betrayal and undiscovered secrets. It was intense and you all got so caught up in the mystery that enveloped Mary ever since she left her old life. 

After drugging Sherlock, she had fled, trying to save those she cared for. However, as she should've been aware of, the infamous, genius detective wasn't about to just give up because some woman told him to. He tracked her down, quite easily, too. And that's when it all went wrong. 

You began solving the case together. Mary, John, Sherlock and you were all in on the game to figure out who was trying to kill Mary and threatened her loved ones. It took you to an aquarium late at night. 

A night you'd never forget for as long as you lived. 

The woman, a former boss of Mary's, had pulled out a gun and aimed it at Sherlock. You didn't think twice to push him back as you saw her finger twitching on the trigger. You jumped in front of him as a loud bang filled the atmosphere. You had been prepared to die, prepared to save his life and do some good for the world. But Mary had different ideas. 

Before anyone realised what she was doing, she had pushed you and Sherlock out of the bullet's striking area. And as if time had begun to slow down, the bullet struck her in her stomach and she fell to the floor, clutching the bleeding wound. 

John had been by her side in seconds. And you had all been so confused and taken back by the sudden activities that you didn't even notice that the shooter had fled the scene. 

You and Sherlock stared at the married couple as Mary took her last breaths. John had screamed and cried, yelling at you how you should have done something. But what could you have done? You hadn't been aware of what she was thinking. You were supposed to die that night, you had been ready to do so in order to save your friends. But Mary took measures into her own hands and took that opportunity away from you. 

She died because you didn't realise how prepared she was to do whatever it took to keep her friends and husband safe from harm. You had killed her, and now, John would never want to see you again. He hated you, resented you for killing his wife. 

It destroyed you from the inside out. Nowhere to go, no one to help. You were all alone now and you had no clue what the results of your actions that night were going to be.

''Blaming yourself for someone else's act isn't going to get you any further, (Y/N),'' Ella said. ''Losing a loved one is tough, and remorse isn't going to help your mourning process. You have to move on, admit that this wasn't your fault, so you can mourn in peace.''