Chapter 21

The tension in the car was killing me; the ride was silent (except for the occasional sniffs from Tessa) as everyone didn't know what to say. Leon was driving my car to Tessa's house even though Leon wanted to take her to the hospital but she refused.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. Today was exhausting, started out great but now the date seemed to dull considerably. Leon was all stiff and tensed. Tessa was slouching in the backseat and I was wondering what the hell do I do?

I can't ask my arch nemesis how they are doing? For goodness sake, she was almost taken advantaged off!

We finally reached Tessa's large mansion.

Rich folks.

Leon got out the car and opened the door for Tessa. I stayed in the car and watched them both walk towards the front door but I couldn't help but think that should have been Leon and I.

I watched as they spoke to each other. Tessa was tearing up again and Leon pulled her into a hug. I tried to control my jealousy by convincing myself that she needs a hug from what she's been through but I couldn't stop my fists clenching. Leon said something to her though I had no idea.

Tessa nodded and then opened the door and walked in, leaving it opened.

Really? After all you have been through, you're gunna leave the door open?

I straightened up when Leon headed to the car. He got to the drives side but didn't get in; instead through the open window Leon spoke.

"I'm going to stay with her over night."

My heart pounded in my chest and my eyes widened.

"W-what?" I breathlessly asked.

Leon's eyes turned cold. "She's been through a lot Jade, I can't just leave her and besides she's alone tonight. All the maids have left."

Leon held out the hand with my keys in it. "Go home Jade. It's been a long day." He said stiffly.

Slowly I took the keys and then looked at Leon who looked down in despair.

"I'm sorry our date was cut off. I'll make it up to you later but for now Tessa needs me because she's scared." His eyes soften. "She needs someone to be there for her and I know what it feels like to be alone."

Don't we all.

"Goodnight Jade." And then he left.

My whole body just gave up as I watched him walk away.

"Bye Leon." I whispered.

I moved to the driver's side and turned on the engine. I looked towards the house, my eyes flicked to the window where I saw the curtains close.

Sighing, I pulled out and drove off.

***

Monday rolled up and Aria and I were heading to school. Not once have I heard of Leon or the update on Tessa. Aria noticed my gloomy mood and asked what's wrong. I debated whether to tell her and normally I would have said nothing but being with Leon, I've changed from that emotionless girl.

So I told her, from the date to the Tessa part.

Aria was completely shocked, both with mine and Leon's date and the Tessa incident. She tried to reassure me that what Leon was doing is right because no girl would feel safe after that and they need someone to be there for them. I knew she was right but I just...I don't know...

Sighing for the umpteenth time, I blankly looked out the window as Aria parked the car in front of the school. Student were scattered around but something or should I say someone caught their attention.