Chapter 33

I was laying on a chaise in the corner of Sesshomaru's office when I closed the book I was reading with a thud. I laid my head back against the cushion and drummed my fingers on my belly. We were rounding a month since we'd been back in the castle and I was long passed the honey dew stage and had turned into quite the watermelon.

I was also long passed boredom.

Sesshomaru and I nearly spent every minute together, he was so protective of me and the babies. He would never admit it, but I knew apart of him was trying to make up for the month he wasn't there to protect us. To make up for everything I had to protect us with Naraku that I'm sure he felt if he had done his duty then I never would have been in the position to have to do so anyway. He didn't tell me to go on a rampage and try to attack Naraku...I did that all on my own...but he still watched over me like I was a flower to be picked and carried away if he wasn't there. And then there was the Inuyasha situation...that didn't help matters either.

So right now I was reading through the books stored in his office to occupy my time while he tended to matters at his desk. But at that moment I found myself rereading the same line until I finally gave in to the fact that I had reached absolute boredom. I needed to stretch my legs and do something.

"Sesshomaru." I started, sitting up and preparing a very convincing 'give into me' smile, "I was thinking about taking a stroll through the local market. Maybe see if they have anything for the babies." I tried to convince him.

Sesshomaru looked up from his work and quirked a brow at the look I was giving him. But alas it didn't work. "These are urgent matters I must respond to immediately. I can't right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Maybe...ugh, "I really want to go today. If you don't mind me not waiting, I could-"

"I will take her, Lord Sesshomaru" Jaken piped in from the doorway as he entered.

"You're going to protect Lady Corrine? I think we both know she's stronger than you are." Lord Sesshomaru commented to shut him down.

"No, Jaken's perfect. I have no doubt he could protect me just fine." I interjected quickly before he could send Jaken away.

Sesshomaru shifted his narrowed gaze between Jaken and I before finally relaxing. He just nodded his head and waved his hand in answer and I took that as a 'yes' before he could change his mind. I went around his desk and gave him a kiss on the cheek in thanks before darting out the door.

We found Rin and Rhys out in the garden as we exited the building and they quickly followed in tow to join us.

"Look, Corrine! A fruit stand!" Rin tugged on my sleeve and pointed to a stand colored with an assortment of fresh fruit.

The little old lady had done a wonderful job and I moved much more freely in the security of my new dress

(https://www.pinterest.com/pin/270708627578244087/

First red dress on the left. Like this but with a v-neckline and open shoulders on the sleeves. The sash and strings around the middle is to be able to adjust the waistline as Corrine's stomach grows so it'll adjust with ease.)

I gave the attendant some coin and took a juicy looking green one to try. I took a small bite and crinkled my nose at it.

It's just not a plum.

Rin saw my face and happily snatched it from me and finished it off. Rhys nuzzled his head against my leg and I paid for another and tossed it to him.

I looked to Jaken to see if he was wanting one too and found no one.

"Rin, have you seen Jaken?" I asked, peering side to side for some sign of the little imp.