Chapter 2

A Demon of a Woman /Sesshomaru Calls\*

Chapter 2

I leapt across a few roofs in the direction the wind had followed when he first disappeared, then I stopped. If this was an actual mission, I had to do it right; I couldn't just blindly run in. I tried to recall the scent I had barely caught off the wind before-it was like breathing in the morning dew after night of rainfall. That plus a hint of orchid, it was a calm and serene smell.

If only I knew that I could make quite the opposite statement of its owner.

With this scent in mind, I tried to use my senses to sniff him out. 'Sniffing him out'-one of the heightened abilities I've come to find go hand-in-hand with my 'differences'.

My ear tried to twitch out of instinct as I thought I picked something up, but the wig held it tight against my head. I followed his scent, and aura, across town where it led me to a long flight of steps. The sign at the bottom said it was the home of the Higurashi Shrine. With one great leap I reached the top and looked around. But it just looked exactly as the sign said, just some old shrine. From the outside, I didn't see anything special about it, and from the inside there was nothing but a well that was even older than the shrine surrounding it.

"But there's no outlet?" I murmured aloud to myself, confused as to why I brought myself here. 'Well, here goes nothing...' I thought before deciding to fulfill the wish of that nagging feeling in my stomach. It was pulling me towards the well and something in the back of my mind whispered for me to jump in, so I did.

Before my head even made it below the top ledge of the well, I was consumed by swirls of mysterious purple and blue lights. They circled around me like the wind circled that man on the rooftop. At first it felt as though I were falling with the wind just swirling around me, but then it emitted the slightest glow and with a jerk I could feel my body being pushed up, my hair blowing towards the sky. It only took a few seconds and then it dissipated. I found myself falling with a thud to my knees.

"What was that?" I gasped while patting down my body. I wanted to make sure I hadn't acquired a tail or a third arm in the process of whatever that was. "Ok, good" I sighed in relief when I found everything to be in place.

I noticed the black ribbons which had untangled themselves from my hair drift to the ground beside me, falling from my shoulder. I looked up from the ground and noticed vines vine now coming down the wall which hadn't been there before. Not wasting anymore time, I picked up the ribbons, quickly lacing them back into the two loose pigtails, then settled myself into a crouch and leapt. I was out of the well in one bound.

'What's happened to me? Where am I!' I panicked as I took in my surroundings. 'Where'd the shrine go? The paved streets?'

It seemed I had taken a leap from the concrete jungle of Japan and find myself in the real-'wait...that scent..orchids and-'

I let out a cry of shock, finding myself across the forest and pinned to a tree in merely seconds.

"Why have you followed me?" I heard a voice just inches from my face.

My eyes had squeezed closed at impact into the tree, just trying to focus on the gasps of air I needed under the grip upon my throat. 'Does this person not realize I need air to speak?!' I thought sarcastically. And that was probably a thought best kept to myself, I thought as well, when I squinted one eye open to find one very angered face too close for comfort.

If I had enough air to breath I would have gasped, realizing I was now face-to-face with the mystery man in the night.

"Why have you followed me?" He repeated when I did not answer. By the tone in his voice, he clearly did not like repeating himself.