Chapter 21

"Oh, yes. Lord Sesshomaru had to head out early on an errand. It said it was quite urgent." He answered and zoned back into what he was doing.

What could have come up that he left so early without waking me

It had been a few days now since Sesshomaru headed out on his errand and he still wasn't back yet.

Rin was outside walking the gardens with Rhys and Jaken was...somewhere doing whatever Jaken did now while Sesshomaru was away.

Being cooped up at this castle for days now I had reached one of my points where I grew restless and couldn't sit still. I had stashed my iPod and a solar charger in the satchel I brought over and I finally brought it out.

It set on one of the dressers in Sesshomaru's bedroom and played on random through the speakers while I decided to use my time bringing life to this dreary room.

I had gone through the castle finding minor items from each of the other rooms that wouldn't be missed or noticeable and used them to decorate. A gold stitched pearl white blanket draped across a chair...which I had actually switched out with a ebony wood chaise from another guest room. I added gold stitching to the kneeling mats at the matching ebony coffee table to make it match.

Yesterday I checked out the local market closest to the castle with Rin and picked up a new set of decorative comfy bed sheets to replace the drab starchy gray ones.

As I removed the old sheets, a new song started up; one that always got me pumping and my body moving. Unconsciously, I started dancing where I worked while I spread the new sheets out across the bed. They reminded me of everything else I had added to the room-white with gold flower petals and black leaves. 

When I turned around to pick up the silky black blanket with an extended leg like a ballet spin, my foot hit something solid before I noticed it. Caught off guard and having a mini heart attack from the scare I fell back, wrinkling my freshly lain sheets.

"Don't scare me like that." I commented with a hand on my heaving chest as I looked up to Sesshomaru who had come up behind me. He just looked down at me on the bed and chuckled, but I couldn't tell by his expression if that was good or not. "What?" I questioned with my head cocked to the side. He's been gone for days and the first thing he says...no...does, is laugh at me? 

"I've never had a bone in my body for decorating. It was my father who coordinated the rest of the castle. This is the only room that's been left untouched. I always figured one day I'd leave it to my mate to add their touch in here." He looked around the room at what I had added to it and back to me with a raised brow and a humorous look on his face, "Which you seem to have instinctively taken upon yourself and are doing quite well. I'm glad you're settling into role as my mate."

"Role?!" I hopped off the bed, brushing passed Sesshomaru to turn off my iPod and turned back to him, "This had nothing to do with a role. I just got bored while you were gone and this room was so dreary to be in it alone."

"Are you saying you missed me?" His grin actually grew as he teased me.

"I-I didn't say that. Why should I miss the man who left in the middle of the night without a word?" I answered, trying to stay bold and dramatically turned back to the bed to finish laying out the blanket.

"If you didn't miss me, then who should I give this to?" He teased again from behind me, trying to peek my curiosity. 

Curiosity successfully peeked I thought as I cautiously turned around to see what he was referring to. I assumed he was holding it out in his phantom hand as something shiny glinted hovering mid air. I just stood there wide eyed as he lifted my hand with his physical one and realized what he held was a ring.