Chapter 22

Author's Note: My recap purposely is not of the last few lines from the previous chapter, but it's close. My last few lines contained some lemon action, so I went with the closest to the end without just in case there is anyone who prefers not to read that

He picked me up again and returned us to our original position. But, this time he just held me more softly as I laid against his chest with my head resting against his neck. He combed his fingers through my hair and tickled his nails across my back then repeated. I let out a sigh of content and placed a few pecks across his neck.   

"Did you not sleep well?" Rin piped up, hearing the fourth yawn I let slip that morning. She jogged up to walk beside me and looked up at me with genuine concern.

"I guess so," I answered with a little sweat drop, "But I'll be fine for the journey ahead." I assured, resisting the urge to elbow Sesshomaru in the stomach. He didn't say anything, but I could just sense he was chuckling internally at Rin's question, which was all thanks to his antics last night.

"You know what I just realized?" I wondered aloud, turning my attention to Sesshomaru.

"Hmmm?" Was all he gave me to show he was listening as we continued along this dirt path.

"I never actually asked you why you're searching for Naraku. I've been following you on this journey the whole time, but I've actually no idea what this journey is really for." I commented, looking to Sesshomaru hoping to learn more about why we were walking this path.

"He tricked me once, told me he was an ally to me since he was also in pursuit of Inuyasha. His pursuit of Inuyasha was true, but he was no ally and the assistance he gave turned against me. He nearly cost me my life and now his will pay for it."

"Oh..." Was all I could respond with, trailing off at the end. It was certainly a much different time. No police, laws or regulations to abide by. Not that Sesshomaru wasn't justified. Knowing him, I was sure he didn't waste his time reacting to minor acts. And I couldn't argue that I have never felt that way myself towards a particular someone; It's a good thing that particular someone is in the modern era now to keep him safe.

The ground rumbled beneath our feet and a crash could be heard acres ahead in the distance, but nothing could be seen from where we stood. Sesshomaru had stopped for a moment when the ground initially shook, with his eyes raised to the sky as if to assess, but then he continued his pace. 

However, I did not follow. I paused just as Sesshomaru did, but I thought I caught a familiar scent wafting from the direction of the crash and didn't dare move in fear it would float away before I could confirm with another whiff. It can't be

"What is the matter?" Sesshomaru asked, noticing I was not following after a few steps. I didn't respond as I focused on the air, causing Sesshomaru to turn around and eye me-trying to read my body.

But it is...it's unmistakable...that's his scent...

"Jaken, get Rin away from here." I commanded and ran full sprint in the direction of the action. My heart started to pound as hard as my feet hit the ground in anger

"But...we just-" I could hear Jaken starting to argue from where I left them.

"Jaken! Just do as she says!" Sesshomaru yelled at Jaken as he started to sprint after me.

I was too far away to hear Jaken's response after that, but I imagined it was something along the lines of 'Yes, my Lord. Sorry, my Lord.'

"What is going on?!" Sesshomaru called from a distance behind me, wanting an answer for my sudden curious behavior, "why are you still trying to run away from me!" He added, grasping at straws when I didn't immediately respond.