Chapter 20

"A-a story?" I stammered. I rarely see the scar since it's upon my back, so I had sort of forgotten about it Forgot about it or didn't want to remember? "It's not nearly as interesting a tale as yours." I started as I was still trying to form what I was going to say to her, "I was running down the street one night when I was a little girl and tripped over something in the dark. When I fell I scraped my back against some debris that was sticking out at a construction site." I finally answered, then resumed back to the meal in front of me without further word.

I made my way to our bedroom after dinner and confirmed Rin's assumptions must be true upon noticing what I assumed to be something to sleep in waiting on the bed for me.

Sesshomaru had kept a step behind me when we left the dining hall and I didn't sense him near, so I assumed I had enough privacy to change into what was certainly the most beautiful sleeping gown I had ever worn. I untied the sash around my waist and pulled the kimono I was currently wearing from my shoulders. A cold chill ran down my spine as the cool air hit my naked skin and I folded it and placed it delicately in an empty drawer before I started to put on the gown.

The cold chill i had felt made its way back up my spine and I realized Sesshomaru now stood at the doorway, the door already closed behind him.

"What are you doing?" I questioned, keeping my back to him as I heard his footsteps get closer. "You said you wouldn't-"

"And I am not." He cut me off before I could finish that thought, "You are my mate, so simple actions such as this will become natural for one another." I could hear shuffling behind me, which suggested he was changing as well. "But, that's not why I joined you. I've seen your naked form twice now, but I have just realized that I have not seen your back side, yet" He finished.

It should have been assuring to hear his intentions had nothing to do with intimacy-especially since I still felt a bit sore still from my first time-but I worried more about his true intentions. He stopped just behind me, the warmth of his naked chest radiating just inches from my back. The only thing that touched my skin were his fingers that trailed a circle on my lower back.

"Why did you lie to Rin?" He asked.

"What?" My scar. His fingers are tracing my scar "What are you talking about?" I pretended not to get what he was talking about.

"Demons have much greater healing abilities than humans-which I'm sure you already know. We can be cut and we can still feel pain, but the wounds heal quick and it's quite difficult to leave scars upon our skin. You have always been honest with Rin about everything, so why would you lie to her about this?" He stated all the obvious fact, not leaving any room for me to play dumb as he demanded an answer.

"Because it's not a story she needed to know." Was all I gave him.

"Not a story she needed to know? You've already told her many stories about yourself that any other child shouldn't need to know. But you sensed that, a human girl who had faced her own death at 8 years old, was already mature enough in intelligence to know and understand everything you've told her. Do not insult her by using her age as an excuse for your unease." He called me out.

"She doesn't need to know because I don't want need to think about it!" I yelled, turning to face him in anger-my still naked form of no concern in my mind at that moment...or his own as he had not redressed yet. "I got this scar from the one human I had ever allowed myself to trust and would happily kill if I ever got the chance." For a moment, I thought I sounded very much like Sesshomaru as I growled at him through my words.

"A human?" He took a step back, watching me like he was contemplating my words. "How could a human leave a scar on you?"

"I don't know" I dropped my gaze to the floor, ashamed at myself for not having an answer about my own body.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I mean, I don't know!" I shouted, my shame leaving as I glared at Sesshomaru now angry at him for digging all these thoughts and emotions up, "About a year ago, he was hired at my place of work. Kaname (Kah-nuh-may) was assigned to be my partner when I went into the field, so we spent a lot of time together through work. We got to know each other through the small talk we shared here and there while on the job, and from it I thought I knew it...thought I could trust him." I sat down on the edge of the bed, clenching the sheets in my fists and took a deep breath as I tried to gather my thoughts, "Our shift didn't end until late one night, and he demanded that I allow him to walk me home to make sure I got there safe. I knew I didn't need a human to 'protect' me, but I didn't mind his company and didn't see the harm...so I let him. I don't remember the walk home or know the how or the what, I just remember waking up the next morning alone in an alley." My heart started to race as I thought about it and my expression grew angrier. "My clothes were torn and there was enough blood on me that I thought...I didn't even notice the wound on my back for some time because all I could think was that he had raped me- "

"But you told me-"He cut me off at the word 'raped', but the look I gave him told him to shut up and he did.

"I did, and that was true." I paused in my story briefly to assure him, "That's what led me to get the birth control and suppress my hormones. I was filled with so much rage, I almost lost control of the beast in me. I found myself wanting to tear through every person I passed, no matter how innocent they were to my situation, and it scared me. After the procedure was done, it was the doctor who performed the implant who assured me I was a virgin and had never been touched sexually. So no-I don't know how I got this scar, and yes-you are the first man I have ever lain with. " I looked up to Sesshomaru at this last part and, no matter how much I blushed as I referred to him as the first man, I kept my eyes steadily locked to his.

Sesshomaru scooped me off the bed and wrapped his arms tight around me. At first I was stiff in his arms, but slowly I relaxed and laid my head against his chest. For probably the first time, I didn't feel my cheeks heat from the close proximity of our naked bodies. Once he sensed the calming of my heart beat, he waited a few more minutes then finally dropped his arms and rested his hands on my waist. I lifted my head and this time I was the one staring up at him as my chin rested on his chest. 

"I'm sorry I lied." I mumbled.

"Don't be sorry, I understand why you wouldn't want to tell Rin." He told me, brushing a hair out of my eyes.

"No...I'm sorry I lied to you." I corrected and for some reason I found myself laying a kiss on the soft skin of his chest like it was part of my apology. 

I could feel a small rumble in his chest in reaction to my kiss, but he held back the growl that I imagined went with it. He stepped back from me and changed his movements towards the bed, pulled back the sheets and got in. "You still have my word and I still haven't gotten your permission." He said, answering the thoughts in my head as I wondered what his plans were.

I just nodded  sheepishly, the blush finally returning to my cheeks as I made my way to the other side of the bed. I forgot the beautiful sleeping gown where I dropped it on the floor and slipped into the sheets next to him. Sesshomaru didn't say anything further after that. He just wrapped his arm back around my waist and pulled me into his chest, falling asleep curled together in a spoon.

When I woke in the morning I rolled over without anything blocking me. I slowly peeked one eye open in the bright sunlight and observed that I was now by myself. Before he left the room, Sesshomaru had laid the sleeping gown back on the bed. I quickly slipped it on and exited the room, walking through the hallways bare footed. 

"Jaken" I called out as I came across him a few rooms down in what I could only guess was Sesshomaru's office-one of the few rooms Rin hadn't showed me to give him his privacy while he was busy. 

"Hmmm," He looked up at me briefly from the papers he was reading.

"Have you seen Sesshomaru?" I asked Not that I cared. He was a grown man. He can take care of himself. 

"Oh, yes. Lord Sesshomaru had to head out early on an errand. He said it was quite urgent." He answered and zoned back into what he was doing.

What could have come up that he left so early without waking me?