Chapter 6

"O-oh well then I don't see the harm. You see, Lord Sesshomaru is the great Dog Demon whom rules over the Western Lands," Jaken was standing up right now, fist in the air and eyes a sparkle, "and Inuyasha...unfortunately Inuyasha is his good-for-nothing half-demon brother. he just makes a mockery of his name." Jaken spat in anger. "The stupid mutt even took Lord Sesshomaru's arm!" He cried, looking upset and teary-eyed at Sesshomaru's unconscious body.

"What?" My gaze instantly went back to Sesshomaru, widening at the ...how did I not notice that? Or did I just not have a care or curiousity? But...how could brothers come to hate each other so much?

It had been 2 days and Sesshomaru was still passed out against the tree. The herbs I had rubbed into the wounds had helped and they seemed to be healing fast. It was his consciousness that was the only problem.

Jaken had taken Ah-Un to go gather some food. It was just Rin and I alone now.

"Rin, you should take a bath and get cleaned up before dinner." I called to her, grabbing her attention over by Sesshomaru.

She had been sitting there for a while now just watching Sesshomaru. I walked over and knelt beside her. "Rin." Placing a hand on her shoulder I turned her face to me. Her cheeks were stained with tears, eyes puffy.

Not noticing the awakened presence watching, I reached out to console her.

"Rin, why do you cry?" I asked with a gentle tone, lifting her chin up to me.

"L-lord Sesshomaru!" She cried out, wiping a balled fist at her eyes. "He was hurt so bad...and now...he won't wake up." A new wave of tears pooled at her eyes. "Corrine, what if he never wakes up." She started to cry, throwing herself into my side, soaking my shirt with her tears.

"Rin, look at me."

At my command she managed to choke back a few tears and reluctantly met my gaze. I swiped the side of the lace covering my wrist across her eyes, soaking up all the tears. Tears gone, I cupped her cheek, trying to sooth her with the caress of my thumb.

"You mustn't cry Rin. Never like this." I shook my head, looking over at Sesshomaru.

"Why not?" Her words came out in hiccups. She followed my gaze and watched Sesshomaru contentedly with me.

"Because when you cry it makes you look very weak and scared, and is your Lord Sesshomaru a weak and scared man?" I asked her.

"Never! He's brave and strong!" She cried out.

"Exactly. Now, brave and strong men can fall down and that's alright, but they always get back up; which is why we must not cry-so we can get ourselves back up. When you watch Sesshomaru or think about Sesshomaru I want you to smile, and do you know why?"

She just stayed quiet trying to keep her thoughts collected and shook her head.

"Because when we keep ourselves collected and strong like that, we are showing 'Lord' Sesshomaru-whether awake to see it or not- that we know he is a strong man that can make it through anything and for that we are proud to be by his side. Do you understand?" I stopped, trying to see if she had caught on with me.

"I think so..." She said timidly.

"Ok, well let me ask you one more thing. Now, you know him better than I do," I scooped my hands under her arms and placed her in my lap. My chin coming to perch on the side of her shoulder I turned us both to look directly at Sesshomaru's unconscious body...or I at least thought it was. "Rin, when he wakes up, do you think he will be wanting tears? Or that smile?"

"Lord Sesshomaru would say that tears are a weak emotion that one need not waste in shedding." She answered, her voice sounding almost automated as she whispered his words. "Which is why I should smile for him." She perked up with a new smile on her face, my words finally sinking in to her.