Chapter 5

Haymitch and I gathered around a table with my prep team, propos team (TV crew), Gale, Plutarch and other people I don’t know. We all knew what I did there was terrible, so much terrible and Haymitch plans something better. He told them to stop giving me lines to say and let me say what I want to say. What is he thinking? He knows I’m no good at talking, its Peeta’s job not mine and he thinks this plan would be better? I doubt it. But my team agrees with him so there’s really nothing that I could do. We are still talking, arguing and throwing back ideas to each other when suddenly the television went on the Capitols music then Ceasar Flickerman’s voice.

“Good morning citizens of Panem. Today we have a special guest, our lovely President Snow think it’s about time we see him. The handsome baker boy from District 12 and the 74th Hunger Games victor, Peeta Mellark, let’s give him a big round of applause!” With his name said my attention is now only on him. I ran fast until I reach the front of the television, holding it, feeling it as if I feel the one that’s in it. I missed him so much.

“Hello Ceasar!” Peeta said

“Hello Peeta, never thought I’d see you again here”

“Me also, well I guess other people has plans!”

“I guess so too, how are you doing?”

“I’ve been good. The capitols taking good care of me here” Peeta said. I saw his face and look as if he’s right. Like nothing’s wrong. Is the capitol really taking good care of him? I doubt it. He looks sad, I can see it in his eyes that he’s been hurt.

“And how about Katniss Everdeen, what can you say about her?”

“I missed her so much. The rebels took her away after she broke the arena in the Quarter Quell. I don’t know where she is or if she’s doing okay. I hope she’s okay.”

“Wherever she is, I think the rebels are taking good care of her. From what I’ve heard, the rebels are going to make her the leader. What can you say about the rebels and the fighting going on Peeta? Do you have a message for them especially to Katniss?”

“I do have a message. Whatever side you’re in, the capitol or the rebels, we all have to think about the innocent people that are affected, dead probably from this chaos that we’re doing. We have to stop this all before there’s nothing left of us” Peeta said teary

“Are you asking for this to stop?”Ceasar said

“Stop for a moment. Have a ceasefire and think about the affected citizens of Panem. As for Katniss. We both know what we want. We don’t want innocent lives to be killed, we’re not killers like any of them. So whoever is with you Katniss, tell them to stop. Convince them to stop this madness and think of the other people lives.”

“Well I think that’s enough for now. How about we give him another round of applause.” Ceasar said and a quick flash of Peeta’s face shows up then the symbol of the Capitol appears.

“He’s a traitor! He’s with the capitol!” the man from my back said and when I turn around I saw who he is. It’s Gale.

“No! He’s not! He’s being forced to tell that! Can’t you see it?” I yelled at him

“Katniss, Based on what we saw he’s a traitor now.” Plutarch added

“No! He’s being hurt at the capitol, tortured probably, he’s not a traitor, believe me!” I yelled at them and they are all quiet

“Haymitch! You know him. You believe me right?”

“Of course sweetheart!” then he hugged me and I just cried “I believe you.” we call it a day and postpone our trip to District 8 that day.

The next day we got up early and prepare for our trip to District 8, a 2 hours trip from 13 and we arrived there mid-afternoon.

“Remember, I’m still your mentor so do what I tell you. You’ll be on the ground and I’ll be airborne so I have the advantage of the view. Wear this earpiece all the time so I can communicate with you. Think you got that sweetheart?” Haymitch tell me,

We’re in District 8 now and I’m getting ready to go down. My prep team is still adding some finishing touches to me and the TV crew are already set on the ground along with two soldiers, Gale and Boggs. Coin told me to follow Boggs even if I don’t want to. Still I have to do it or the conditions I gave to her will be void. Peeta’s life will be in danger as soon as I break our agreement. The moment the last person disembarks, the hovercraft lifts of and vanishes.

We walked around 8 with Boggs in the lead. He leads us to a medical center, the wounded from the morning bombings are being brought in. I see tens, hundreds of wounded in the center and still they’re bringing more in.

“I can’t do this. I won’t be good here.” I tell Boggs, he can see that I’m nervous and panicking so he hold my shoulder and said to me. “You will. Just let them see you. That will do more for them than any doctor in the world” then he leads me to a young woman, maybe in her early thirty’s “Soldier Everdeen. This is Commander Paylor of Eight.” then looked at Paylor and said “Commander, Soldier Katniss Everdeen.”

“I know who she is, so you’re really alive?” Paylor said with her authoritarian voice with a little accusation in it

“I’m still not sure myself.” I said to her

“She’s been in recovery. Bad concussions. But she insisted on going here and see the wounded” Boggs taps his hear

“Well then, come on in Mockingjay. And by all means bring your friends” Paylor waves me towards the door. I can see the wounded closer. Corpses side by side, curtains brushing their heads. My fingers clench tighter into Gales arms. “Don’t leave me please.” I tell him and he answers quietly “I won’t”

Then I hear a croaked voice call my name. “Katniss.” I didn’t look and he calls my name again. “Katniss.” I look at him and saw a little boy, maybe eight or nine and he has a bandage on his head. “Is it really you?” he ask

“Yes! It really is me.” He smiles and with the sound of my voice I can see joy and ease in her eyes

“You’re alive. We didn’t believe in the capitol when they said it. But now I see you and you’re alive!” he says to me smiling

“I’m pretty banged up. But I got better, just like you will”

Then I hear other people say my name. “Katniss”, “Mockingjay”, “Girl on Fire”. Boggs is right, just the sight of me will ease their sufferings. Now I’m glad that I went here. After a 2 hours or more of talking to the wounded and smiling at them for hope we we’re outside again, I leaned against the wall, catching my breath, I got tired already. Boggs then gave me a canteen of water and said

“You did great”

“I didn’t do much, I just talked to them.” I tell him after I finished drinking his water

“We got some nice stuffs in there” says Cressida

“You still have to give credit on what you’ve done before. You’re not perfect by a long shot” Boggs told me. I don’t feel good, I felt like throwing up again so I slide down to a sitting position. Gale squats down beside me and said

“Your mother will be so proud of you, you know? When she sees the footage”

“She won’t notice me, she’ll be busy looking at the wounded”

“We have to go back to the hovercraft. Fast! There’s a problem!” Boggs says and lifted me up with one arm

“What kind of problem?” Gale asks

“Incoming bombers. Let’s move. Now!” Boggs ordered all of us