Chapter 1

“There’s no more District 12.” I try to erase these words from my mind as I walk on the ashes, the remains of my own district. Still there’s hope in me, hoping there’s anything left from my district, hoping for it to be the same as it was before although almost dead from starvation but still there’s life, and hoping that one day we could go back here happy, safe and complete. Along with the survivors of my district, Gale’s family, my mom, Prim and Peeta.

“Peeta” I say softly as I walk around on where their house used to be. I missed him so much, after my actions in the arena the Capitol captured him along with Johanna and Enobaria. Who knows what the capitol is doing to them, to Peeta, Is he even alive?

My head starts to hurt, on the side where Johanna hit me and I press my hands against my head. I start to hallucinate again so I close my eyes. The doctors from District 13 said that I hallucinate because of the tracker jacker venom I got from the 74th Hunger Games but I don’t believe them, I think it’s from the drugs they give me there but I still follow what they say, they say when I’m having hallucination I close my eyes and say things that I know for sure is real. The list goes “My name is Katniss Everdeen, I’m 17 years old, my home is District 12, there’s no more District 12, I was in the Hunger Games, I escaped, The Capitol hates me, I hate them, They got Peeta, He is thought to be dead, Most likely he’s dead, It would be best if he’s dead…”

“Katniss, you want me to come down?” I hear Gale’s voice from the earpiece the rebels insisted that I should wear. “No. It’s okay, I’m okay” I tell him, then I start to walk again, before I knew it I was in Victor’s Village, the only place that the capitol didn’t bombed in District 12. They probably want a nice place to stay in whenever they go here. I walk inside my old house and see everything’s fine, like nothing happened, I walk up the stairs and gathered my dad’s old jacket, the medicine book that Peeta and I have been working on and some stuffs that reminds me of home. I missed him. I missed Peeta so much, his love, care and everything. “Don’t think of him Katniss, He’s not here, He’s in the Capitol, He’s dead!” I say as I rush down the stairs crying, wanting to go back to the hovercraft and just sleep it all away. Drug myself to death since that’s what the capitol wants. To kill me and finish this. Finish the thing that I’ve started because of that stupid trick I did with the berries. I run outside and bump on something hard. I look up and see Gale. “Woah! That hurts. Hey Catnip!” Gales said then he hugged me. I cry harder because that’s all I can do, cry on everything the Capitol is doing to me.

“Hey Catnip stop. Stop crying let’s go back to the hovercraft” Gale said

“What am I going to do Gale? The Capitol hates me. They want me dead and all these things…, what happened to 12 is all my fault” I tell him while sobbing

“Stop. It’s not your fault. Be the Mockingjay Katniss, be our Mockingjay.” Gale said

I look at him and said nothing. That’s what the rebels want me to do, be their Mockingjay, lead the rebels with their fight to the capitol. How can I lead them when I can’t even lead myself? I don’t even know what’s real and not real? I can’t even save Peeta while we’re in the arena so how can I save them? We climb back to the hovercraft and went back to District 13. I didn’t say anything while we’re on our way back. I see him try to reach for my hand, he tries to hold it but I don’t want so I just put my hands inside my jacket. I can see that he’s disappointed and hurt so I just close my eyes. I slept on our way back and when I woke up we’re already in 13, on my bed in my assigned room with my family.