Chapter 43

My eyes flash wide open and my heart pounds so fast I can't breathe. I sit up straight and hold my stomach, still enlarge and it starts hurting where the bullet hits me. I wince in pain, that's the most horrible nightmare I ever had. "Peeta?" I cry and he quickly responds, "I'm here Katniss. It was all just a bad dream. Don't worry." I hug him tight and never let him go. My heart is still beating rapidly I start to hyperventilate. "can't....breathe..." I manage to tell him before I start to cough so hard I feel like my chest is about to explode. He breaks away and looks at me.

"Peeta, place this on her." Prim hands him an oxygen mask and he placed it gently on me. "I'm going to get some stuffs. Call me when you need help." Peeta nods and Prim leans close, kiss my forehead and leave.

"Just breathe okay?" I nod then she softly pushed me back so I can lay back in bed. "We're almost at Thirteen."

"Peeta, did I kill our baby?" then shoots pains from where the bullet hit me on my stomach and I let out a small moan. Peeta holds my hand and I grip on it until the pain goes away.

"Don't think like that. Prim examined you earlier. Your suit protected you well enough from the bullet but not enough to protect you from its impact. She says that you'll be fine but she suggests an ultrasound just in case." I breathe heavily, stayed quiet, and rest

"Snow and Coin wants me dead. I know why Snow wants me gone but I can't find any reason why Coin wants it too."

"I don't know also Katniss. I'm sorry."

"And now we're on our way to Thirteen where she can easily kill me at any moment."

"No Katniss I won't let her do that. Haymitch and I will protect you. That's our priority." He says. I don't know why but hearing me as a priority of Haymitch and Peeta made me smile.

"It sounds like you both have a mission." Peeta and I gives a small laugh

"It has always been my mission and I know for sure it is also Haymitch and Gale's."

I assess what he said and stayed silent. "I'm sorry you all have to get through this for me. You all sacrificed so much." He runs his fingers through my hair and gently kisses my forehead

"Don't be. Everything we do for you are nothing as compared to what you have done for us." He pauses and smile "For Panem. You've done more than enough, thank you."

"I didn't do much Peeta. We just captured Snow and now I'm going to kill him."

"You give us all hope. Hope that after this, Panem will rise and treatment among all districts will be equal. You give us all a new life. A better one."

"Not yet." I tell him and smile "But what about Coin?"

"She won't touch you I promise. Just rest for a while, I'll wake you soon." He says before he kissed my forehead. I'm still a little bit tired so I didn't argue with him anymore and rest.

"Peeta?" I mumble half asleep

"Yeah?"

"Be here when I wake up. Please?"

"Sure. I won't leave. I'll stay with you." He plays with my hair gently and right before I fall asleep, I hear him whisper "Always".