SHIELD Over Family

I woke up on one of the SHIELD medic beds. Steve was sitting in the chair beside me, half asleep. Sam was in another chair.

"Steve?" I whispered. He jumped to his feet.

"What? What's wrong?" He looked around and when he saw me, he chuckled. "You need to be more careful, honey." He kissed my forehead.

"Where's mum?" I asked.

"In one of the extra rooms here."

"How long was I out?"

"Only a few hours. Its about eight in the morning."

"I need to talk to mum." I started to sit up but Steve stopped me. "Steven-"

"Don't Steven me. You re broke the already cracked ribs and two more. And not to mention you were shot."

"I don't care. I need to talk to her, Steven." I stood up with his help. He wrapped an arm around me as he helped me to the conference room. "Go get mom and the kids and Samuel please." I sat in one of the chairs.

"I'll be right back." Steve kissed my forehead before leaving. i laid my head back and sighed. I pulled my knees to my chest and held my ribcage. Everyone walking in five minutes later. My family hugged me tightly.

"Thank you, Steven." I smiled lightly.

"Sure thing." He chuckled and sat beside me.

"I'm sure all of you have questions for me, like why I left you all years ago, what I did with my job, and what the hell happened last night. I didn't choose to leave you guys. I was kidnapped by Loki Laufeyson. I became a SHIELD agent afterwards though. And last night. I realized that I can loose any of you at any given moment and I'm talking to you two gentlemen as well." I started cry. Bloody hell. "When I got into this buisness, I told myself I wouldn't make friends and I would cut off all ties to my family because I didn't want anyone hurt. You guys cannot tell anyone about anything. This is above a level five clearance and none of you are even at level one, except for myself, Steven, and Samuel." I took a deep breath. "I haven't been completely honest with one of you. And you know who you are." I looked to Steve. "But I also keep secrets from you all to protect you. You all are considered family. I'm pretty sure that sounds cheesy but seriously. I love you all." I wiped my eyes.

"Whoa. She does cry." Leonardo chuckled. Fury walked into the room.

"Do you have any ideas, Agent Romero?" He asked, crossing his arms.

"They cannot go back to England." I stood up. "And my apartment is out of the question."

"Why?" Steve asked.

"Someone threw a bomb in just as I was leaving it." I replied.

"I have a place they can stay in. But you can't know about it, Brooklyn." Fury said.

"I understand." I nodded, standing up.

"Where are you going, Brooklyn?" Mum asked. I walked over to her and held her hands.

"I cannot tell you. But just remember that I love you." I whispered, hugging her tightly. I then moved around to hug everyone. I stopped at Aubrey. "I want you to have this." I took a necklace out of my pocket. "Dad gave it to me right before he left in the army."

"Brooklyn. That's because he knew he wouldn't make it of alive." Mum's voice cracked. I locked eyes with her. "You don't have to do this, Brooklyn. You can come home to me." That broke my heart.

"No, I can't. This is my life. SHIELD is my life. I love what I do..... I am the shield that protects those who can't protect themselves. I'm sorry." I kissed her cheek before leaving. I started crying once the doors closed. I realized I chose SHIELD over my family.