Awake

STEVE'S POV

"Weren't you that guy with Brooke the other day at her mum's house?" Eric asked.

"Yeah." I nodded. Only me and him were in the training room. I had to pick up on his training since Brooke was still unconscious. For going on three weeks.

"How long have you known her?"

"Going on four years in a couple days." I replied, sitting on one of the benches. "Why were you over there anyways?"

"I've known her for about nine years. I help her mum out sometimes." There was a while of silence. "What really happened to her, Cap? She came to her house barely in tears and then she told her mum that she might not make it back to see her and her brother and sister again.

"I can't tell you, Scott."

"I'm one of her best friends. I deserve to know."

"If you weren't a SHIELD agent and I liked you, then I might tell you but seems how you are a SHIELD agent and I don't like you, I'm not telling you." Whoa. Steven. I'm getting mean. Crap.

"Why don't you like me? I didn't give you any reason to not like me."

"You talk too much."

"Are you- Are you dating Brooklyn?"

"No. She's a co-worker and a close friend. Practice over." I stood up and walked out of the room. Sam came out of no where and followed me to the room Brooklyn was being held in.

"It's not helping, Cap. Just coming by like this." Sam said.

"Oh well. I'll keep comin' by until she wakes up." I walked over to the bed she was on. "Hey, Jemma? How's she doing?"

"Oh, Mr. Rogers. Um. Her health is great. Her breathing, blood pressure, everything is perfect. Except for her a certain spot in her heart." Jemma walked over to me with a picture of something. "This is a regular heart. And this is her heart." Half of Brooklyn's heart was the electric blue her eyes were.

"So what's wrong with her?" Sam asked.

"Well, Mr. Wilson. A normal heart is not blue. Her heart is. I'm afraid. I don't know a lot about the tesseract." Jemma replied.

"I have an idea." I whispered before jogging out of the room.

"What're you thinking, Cap?" Sam asked as he followed me.

"Dr. Selvic worked on the tesseract under Loki's control. Agent Barton was also under Loki's control. I want to figure out if Selvic can help Brooke."

"Help Brooke with what?" Eric came out of no where.

"Hey, kid? If you don't leave, I'm tellin' Director Fury." Sam looked bak at him. I took off in a sprint, loosing both of them.

"Fury?" I knocked, or kind of pounded, on Fury's office door.

"What is it this time, Mr. Rogers?" I opened the door and closed t behind me.

"Selvic. He can help Brooklyn."

"I already tried him. He doesn't want anything to do with the tesseract."

"Damn it." I hit my fist against the door before leaving.

"Captain Rogers!" Jemma's voice stopped me. I turned to see her practically running to me. "She's awake!" I took off in probably the fastest run ever and went into the room. Jemma was still far behind. Brooklyn was starting to sit up on the bed, but it looked like she was struggling. I jogged over to help her.

"Hello, Captain Rogers." She smiled, lightly, though she looked in pain. I missed her wonderful British voice.

"Hey. How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Like I've been through hell and back. How long was I out? Three or four hours?"

"Almost a month."

"Seriously? Oh god. I must've had you all worried half to death."

"You bet. Sam's been lonely without you." I chuckled a little.

"Says the one who hasn't eaten right since she was knocked out." Sam walked into the room. He gave a light hug to Brooke. "How ya feelin'?"

"Pretty damn shitty at the moment, Agent Wilson." Brooklyn brushed her brunette hair out of her face. Her electric eyes locked with mine.

"I'll give you two love birds a moment." Sam patted my shoulder before leaving.

"I missed you, Brooke." I brushed my fingers down her jawbone. She held the back of my hand as I did so.

"I missed you, Captain." Her smile was attempted to be bright, but there was a mix of something in it.

"What hurts?"

"Ugh. Everything." Brooke put her head against my chest. Banner and Jemma walked in, causing Brooke to pick her head up again.

"How are you feeling, Brooklyn?" Banner asked.

"Horrible at the moment, Dr. Banner. My whole damn body hurts." Brooke replied.

"Okay. Do you want medicine? Or would you be okay with dealing with the pain for at least three days? I'm fascinated by how all this is."

"I can deal with the pain, Banner." Brooklyn smiled.

"Brooke." I whispered in her ear.

"I'll be perfectly fine, Captain Rogers." I sighed, holding her hand. Fury walked in, making Brooklyn let my hand go.

"How do you feel?"

"Not the best, but I'll be fine." Brooke replied.

"When do you think you'll be able to get back into the field?"

"Anytime. But, Fury. I need to talk to you privately, if that's alright with you."

"Okay." Fury looked around the room to everyone, making them leave. But I wasn't leaving Brooke. "Captain? Would you mind giving us a moment?" Brooke nodded for me to leave. I sighed and walked out of the room.