The Mission

"Put your bags in your rooms then come into our apartment." I told the trainees before going into my apartment.

"So are you two sharing a room?" Sam asked.

"I do believe so, agent." I nodded. I put my bag in the room Steven and I would be sharing then went to the living room. "Would you rather split into pairs or do you all want to stay together?" I asked.

"Pairs." Everyone replied.

"Alright. Are any of you trainees okay with being without an S.O.?"

"We could split into three and you guys go in three." Bradley suggested.

"Are you sure? No. I don't want you to go without an S.O. Bradley and Myers? You will be going with Agent Wilson. Scott will come with myself and Captain Rogers." Bloody hell. What did you just do, Brooklyn? Putting your ex and your boyfriend on the same set. Well. No taking it back now.

"I see how it is. I know where I'm wanted." Sam nodded.

"Oh. Samuel. You'll be just fine. Next time I'll put you on a team with either myself or Captain Rogers." I laughed.

"Fine." He sighed.

"We'll meet up back here when the sun disappears." I gave Sam a copy of the file and they left. "Give me a moment, gentlemen. I need to do something." I walked to my bedroom. I changed into a black skirt and a white button up before going back to the living room.

I walked between Eric and Steven as we walked down the street.

"Brooke? Can I talk to you?" Eric asked.

"What ever you have to say, Scott, can be said in front of Captain Rogers."

"Okay. Have it your way. What did I do to make you so damn pissed?" I stopped and turned to Eric. "I mean before, when you broke up with me-"

"I actually recall you breaking up with me because you wanted a family immediately after we got out of high school."I crossed my arms. Steven stopped behind me too.

"Whatever. But why did that make you pissed?"

"Eric. I don't know if I'll ever be able to have a family with my job. I love being a SHIELD agent and I love what I do. It wasn't just you. I was not ready to put my life on hold for a child, simply because you wanted one. You think you know me, Eric but you don't. I changed during the five years we were separated. Either deal with it, or go tell Director Fury. I don't give a shit what you tell him. You can tell him that I cursed you out, you can tell him I punched you, make up whatever little story you wish, but I can guarantee that I will not be the one loosing my job. I've been with SHIELD for over two months, unlike you, and before you came into my SHIELD life, everything was perfect. Maybe I liked it better when you were in England." My patience were beginning to get thin. I turned and started to walk away.

"You're not Brooklyn Lace. You're someone else. The Brooklyn that was with me just before you disappeared never cussed at me. She never told me she liked it when I was away. I remember you and me sitting out on the roof of my house at night. We would stared at the sky for hours, talking about everything. You even talked about having a future with me. You talked about having kids. I thought that's what you wanted-"

"I was only nineteen, Eric. Every bloody nineteen year old foolish girl talks about having a future with her three year boyfriend." I whispered, before turning to him. "You aren't the Eric I remember. I guess everyone changes. I grew up, while you transformed into a child."

"How did you fucking grow up, Brooklyn?"

"You have no idea that amount of torture I endured while I was kidnapped. You have no idea what they did to me." My eyes watered on their own. I whipped around, storming away. I didn't want anyone to see me crying.

"Brooklyn!" Steven yelled after me. I took off in a sprint, eventually loosing them when I turned a corner and they didn't. I still heard Steven calling out my name. I wiped my eyes, careful not to mess up my makeup, before walking the at they went. Steven turned and saw me, then he ran and grasped me in a hug. "Don't run from me. Like that. Again." He breathed heavily. I put my head in his chest, letting out a deep breathe. We stayed like that for a while; his muscular arms around me and my face in his chest.

"I'm perfectly fine, Captain Rogers. I can take care of myself, thank you." I took a step back and brushed a hand through my hair. "We have a mission to complete." I saw Eric out of the corner of my eye.

A round of shots were fired. Steve had an arm around me and pushed me against the wall in an instant. I saw a man running with a gun, shooting a few people. I pulled out my pistol and aimed for the man, but there were to many people around. I took off my heels and sprinted after the man. Steven and Eric got held up with a group of men fighting them. I turned down an alley, and heard a gun shot, then something graze the side of my leg. I raised my gun and shot the man twice before walking back to Steven and Eric. They were just getting done.

"You're bleeding, Brooke." Eric nodded to my leg. I looked down and saw my leg was bleeding. I managed to speed walk and limp into a near diner and to the bathroom. I sat on the toilet lid while I wiped my leg off.

"Brooklyn? Are you okay?" Steven knocked on the door.

"I'm perfectly fine." I ripped the bottom of my skirt off and wrapped it tightly around my upper thigh. I didn't have time to go back to the apartments. I walked pass Eric and Steven and out the front door.

"Where were you shot?" Steven asked.

"I'll show you later." I whispered as I heard Eric jog up next to me.

It started to get dark after a while, so we stared to head back. I walked into the bedroom Steven and I were sharing and started unbuttoning my shirt. Sam had passed out on the couch but Steve was talking to him. I brushed my hair back and sighed.

"Brooklyn? Are you sure you're fine?" Steve closed the door behind him.

"Yes, Captain Rogers." I nodded.

STEVE'S POV

Her dark hair was not really a mess, but not straight like she normally had it. Her hair was pushed back, like she ran her hand through it. Her white shirt was unbuttoned, revealing her black bra. Her skirt was ripped.

"How did you rip your skirt?" I asked.

"To stop the bleeding. And I see you're looking at my legs again, Captain Rogers." She looked up at me with a smile.

"Well- not really." I shrugged, taking my shirt off.

"It's not the first time you've done that, Steven."

"I'm sorry."

"Its fine. I'd rather you look me up and down than half the other men that do."

"Where did you get shot, Brooke?" I asked.

"Right here." She lifted her skirt up, revealing her tanned leg. There was a spot where a bullet had grazed her thigh.

"Does it hurt?" Stupid question, Rogers.

"Yes. But I'll be fine." Brooklyn took off her shirt and her skirt before sitting on the edge of the bed. She started to wrap her leg but was having a little complication.

"Here. Let me help." I helped her wrap her leg. Afterwards, I left my hand on her thigh and kissed her lips. Her hand went to the back of my neck. "I love you."

"I love you, Captain Rogers." She smiled, her hand slid down to my shoulder.