Chapter 36: Half Way Dead

A Night In Hell (CAUTION SEXUAL CONTENT)

Chapter 36: Half Way Dead

 *

*

*

A Month later.
*

*

“Lani, I miss Cody…He was a good kid” Zak said setting his cup on my coffee table. Suddenly my phone went off, “Hello, this is Lani” I answered turning the volume slightly down, “Hi, Lani, this is Dr. Ruff. You saw me a few days ago about your pregnancy?” He said making my heart rate speed up, “Yes…” I whispered, “I’m sorry to be calling so late at 9 o’ clock at night…I just thought you would like to know that you are not pregnant…You left your jacket in my office also, you need to come pick it up” I nodded but I couldn’t speak. I hung up the phone and opened the front door, “Where are you going?” Zak asked standing up. I turned to him angrily with my eyes red and watery, “Zak, god damn it! Get your damn cup off my beautiful expensive coffee table and get a coaster! I’m tired of all the rings!” I screamed. He frowned and ran up and hugged me, “What’s wrong?” He whispered. I rolled my eyes and slammed the door in his face.

I jumped in the car and pulled out of the driveway. I looked for the most depressing song I could find. Colors by Amos Lee seemed appropriate. I turned it up and tears rolled down my eyes. Why was I torturing myself with music? I always did this…I wasn’t sure why I was so upset. I just really thought I had a baby…It was just really overwhelming. I turned into the left lane and the rain started getting really heavy. I turned my windshield wipers up and turned back into the other lane. Suddenly a white light surrounded me.

ZAK’S POV:
I smashed my fist into the van steering wheel and my pants were soaked with my own tears, “Damn it, Lani. Why do you have to be such a horrible fucking driver?” I screamed angrily. I shook my head and turned into the hospital. I ran up to the front desk as fast as possible and they knew right away who I was, “4th floor nurses station, Mr. Bagans” They told me looking pitiful. I nodded and ran to the elevator. I felt like I was moving in slow motion. Everything I’ve done with Lani was flashing past me, making the tears roll faster. I pressed the fourth floor button a million times until the elevator door closed. I rubbed my forehead and fought back tears. All I could really think was 'please be okay, please be okay, please be okay...'

The bell rang and the doors opened. I sprinted up to the front desk, "Mr. Bagans, right?" the lady at the desk asked. I nodded and she frowned, "She's in room 378" she said pointing down the hall, "Thank you" I whispered running to her room. Her mom and sister were standing outside of the room. Her mom’s face was buried in her sister Kai’s shoulder. I ran up to them and wiped my face, “How is she?” I whispered with a slight crack in my voice. Kai shook her head and her chin wrinkled up. You could tell she was fighting back the tears. I hugged onto them both, “Go on in, Zak” She whispered patting my back. I slowly turned the door knob and walked in. As soon as I saw her, my knees felt shaky and I couldn’t move. She had a breathing tube on and machines surrounded her, “Hi, I’m Dr. Valsh. What was your relationship with Ms. Mahina?” A doctor asked walking up to me, “I-I was her boyfriend” I mumbled still staring at her in shock, “Well, Lani is currently in a coma. I know this may be hard to hear but, she’s barely alive, sir. Her brain activity is slowing dramatically by the hour. When Lani turned 18, she signed paperwork. Do you know her feelings about mechanically prolonging life?” He asked. My bottom lip started to quiver so I bit it. I crossed my arms and sniffled, “No” I answered trying to swallow down the tears, “She was against it, like most people are. Here’s the papers, you need to make your decision within the next week.  I’m terribly sorry” He said handing me forms. I ignored him and stared at Lani. He walked out and I walked over to her. I took her hand and continued swallowing back the pain. The last thing I wanted to do was cry like a baby in front of her family, “Zak, leave. This is family matters. You shouldn’t be here. “ Her mom said at the door. I nodded and walked out as she glared at me. I didn’t blame her for wanting me to leave. After all, her own daughter is in a coma. I walked into the elevator and pressed the first floor button. Right when the doors shut I broke down. I dropped to the corner floor and bawled into my arms. I took a deep breath and stood up. I swallowed hard and wiped my eyes. The door opened and Kupono was sitting in the waiting room. I walked over to him and sat next to him, “How’re you doing, man?” I whispered, “How am I doing? My sisters going to die and the last time I saw her I tackled her to the ground. We hated eachother…What was she like around you anyways?” He asked turning to me with red eyes. I sniffled a little and took a deep breath, “Uh, you know. A pain in the ass” I said and we both laughed, “She left her clothes all over the house in the most random places, so whenever we had guests over she’d have underwear in the living room…not to mention the bras on the door knob. Or her inability to fill up the gas tank in the car so I always had to do it for her, and whenever I tried teaching her, gas got all over the damn car and I’d have to sit there and clean it up. Or how she never flushed the toilet when she had her period and I never noticed so I’d use it and when I looked in the toilet I’d have a heart attack, thinking a bunch of blood just came out of my ass.” I whispered and Kupono snorted, “My blood pressure rises whenever I think about it… This may make you feel uncomfortable, but I love your sister.” I told him. Tears started flowing out of his eyes and he looked away, “I know…She’ll pull through this, man” He whispered squeezing my hand. I nodded and stood up, “She will”