Spark

I hear movement after the door shuts, and a moment later, he appears in the kitchen.

And I swear, it's like my entire life flashes before my eyes.

I see him asking me if I was on the delayed flight, bothering me, upset about Nemo, the jacket, going to Ethan's, the jacket, and so on.

Up until this moment.

His eyes study me, the blue of them makes my knees weak, and I lean on the counter to keep from falling. His messy blonde hair is untamed, and it looks like he's been running his fingers through it. He's tanned. The jeans rest low on his hips, flashing the waistband of his Calvin Klein. His black t-shirt is straining around his biceps. He shoves his hands in his pockets, watching me closely.

I don't know how to act. I don't know what to say.

All I know is my throat feels tight and I want him to walk over to me and hug me.

I need human contact. I need his human contact. I want to fall asleep in his arms.

I want him, here, right now, to tell me he loves me, that he doesn't want to break up.

I want him to kiss me, to feel the warmth I haven't felt in ages spread through my body.

I want him to say something.

But he doesn't. We both don't.

So we just stand there, silent.

The clock against the wall of the break area ticks, seconds turn to a minute, and one minute turns to several. I shift uncomfortably on my feet, glancing at the clock.

We've been standing here looking at each other in silence for a half hour.

I open my mouth to speak, but I close it.

If I tell him I love him and he says he doesn't love me, I'll be crushed, so I say nothing.

A hour hour turns to an hour, and he sighs slowly.

I'm not speaking for the fear of rejection, so why isn't he speaking?

The silence becomes suffocating.

"Why aren't you speaking?" I blurt. He looks surprised I spoke first, because we both know I'm more stubborn out of the two of us.

At the sound of his voice, I almost fall over.

"I asked first." I say childishly. The start of a smile flickers at his lips, but it's gone before I can be sure.

"Ladies first."

I swallow. My mouth feels like it's been stuffed with a million cotton balls, I let out a puff of air.

Just bloody say it, Audrey.

"I'm not speaking for fear of rejection." I say, folding my arms over my chest, waiting.

His eyes study mine for a long time.

"Well? Say something!" I plead.

"You don't want to get a divorce?" He asks.

"No." I say. "No, I don't want to get a divorce, but if that's what you want-"

"Every time I was some stupid little wall piece or the name of an ice cream flavor, I thought of you. I missed our soft hands in mine and your accent. I missed your smile. I missed you. I don't want to get divorced either."

"You missed me." I whisper.

He missed me.

He missed me. I missed him. He doesn't want to get divorced.

I swallow back the lump in my throat, but it comes flying back.

"So you're not breaking up?" I whisper. He shrugs casually.

"I guess not."

Oh god.

I put my hand to my chest. It physically hurts.

We're not getting divorced. Oh my god.

I look down at the counter

"So you love me?" I question, my voice hoarse.

"I love you." He nods, crossing the kitchen until he's in front of me.

He loves me.

He loves me.

He doesn't want to break up.

I look up at him. He looks down at me.

So we still love each other and we don't want to divorce, but what about the spark?

I want him to touch me so bad, I almost grab his hand and make him do it, but I don't have to, because he slowly lifts his right hand, running his fingers through a wavy blonde lock. He swallows. His fingers brush against my cheek, and at the skin on skin impact, I feel chills spread through my body, I shiver.

The spark? My eyes widen slightly as I look up at him.

He releases my hair, brushing his fingertips along my cheek. I close my eyes. His touch is so familiar, and I feel warmth spread through my whole body, all the way to my knees, but then it stops. He brushes his thumb along my bottom lip, his eyes dark with desire. I swallow.

"I'm going to kiss you now." He whispers. He leans down slowly, hesitatingly, and softly, very softly, his lips brush mine. He pauses, and I swear it's like I've been shocked. The lust and love surrounding me is so much. My eyes slide closed, and I take a deep breath as his lips press firmly against mine.

I swear it's like our first kiss. Warmth starts slowly, spreading through me like a warm chocolate chip cookie. It's warm, and inviting, spreading into my fingertips and toes, shooting back up to my head, and back down, like fireworks. He picks me up in one fluid motion, setting me down on the counter, not the bar, standing between my legs, he pulls his body flush against mine, my legs around his waist, my arms around his neck. Mouth mouths move in sync, our tongues mixing, and it's familiar, but warm, and intoxicating. It makes my head full, but empty at the same time. Any fear, any worry I had is gone, because the spark is back. His mouth is so warm and soft against mine, and I'm ready to undress him right now when he pulls away, his forehead against mine.

I feel giddy, like a school girl who just kissed her crush. Our forehead pressed together, my eyes closed, my bottom lip between my teeth, I'm smiling. I release my lip, a smile taking over my body.

"Juliet." He murmurs, breathless.

"Yes?" I mumble, swallow. He pulls back, and he looks so happy, so in love, his eyes shine with happiness.

"I love you." He says. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Romeo." I say, choked up. "I love you so much."

He grins, pulling me into a crushing hug. I high him back. He hugs me so hard, it hard to breathe.

"Can't-breathe!" I gasp. He loosens his grip, and then pulls away all together, his eyes shining with love and happiness. He runs his fingers through my hair. That loose curl falls into his eyes, and I reach up and brush it back, smiling.

He's here, the spark is back, and I can't remember the last time I was this happy.

"We should probably go pick up the kids. Kendall and Ethan are most likely ripping their hair out."

I laugh, nodding. He kisses me again, and the warmth starts, but he pulls away. I hop off the counter, and he grabs the keys to the cruiser, throwing his arm around my shoulders. He gives me a big, wet, sloppy kiss on the forehead.

"I love you." He says.

"I love you too." I grin. When we get to the cruiser, he opens the door for me. I get in, and he closes it. I put on my seatbelt. He gets in and puts on his, looking at me in concern.

"How is your hand?"

I hold it out.

The stitches really need to come out, but I'll worry about that later. We drive the short drive to Kendall's, and Noah's car is in the driveway.

"Ready?" He asks when we're both out and at the front door. I nod, and we walk in.