Chapter 9 - Hands off

Jillian’s POV

I woke up and took in my surroundings. Yep, I was most definitely not home. I groaned as pain shot through my body, reminding me of what had occurred. I blinked my blurry vision away and searched for an alarm clock. When I finally spotted one sitting on the bedside table, I saw it was 2:00 AM. I got up, knowing very well that I wouldn’t be able to fall back asleep now that I was awake. I struggled to get up and noticed that I was wearing nothing but a guy shirt. It smelt like lavender laundry detergent and a little bit like Dan. If you could say that Dan had a smell. I laughed inwardly. My thoughts immediately went to Stef and the fight that we had. I felt so bad. Feeling the need to call her despite the hour, I fumbled around and found my phone near the pillow. I hastily grabbed it and my fingers flew across the touch screen, frantically dialing her number.

“Jillian? Is it you? Oh my freaking gosh! Girl, I am SO sorry.”

“Stef,”

“I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

“Stef,”

“It’s just, I don’t know what you want to hear, I mean who else has gone through what you have?!”

“Stef,”

“I kept my feelings bottled up and when I started spilling, I just couldn’t stop, you know? Please don’t hate me. You ignoring me was the worst feeling ever.” She rambled.

“STEF!” I yelled into the receiver. She stopped talking.

I sighed. “Stef,” I started slowly. “I was beaten and almost raped.”

I could practically hear her jaw drop onto the floor.

“Stef, close your mouth, you’ll swallow the flies.” I joked trying to enlighten the mood.

“I-I… fucking shit.”

“Yeah, I’ve been getting that a lot recently.” I said sourly.

“Jillian, I’m happy you called and again, I’m really sorry. Go get some rest, and we’ll talk tomorrow.”

There was a slight pause. “Hey Stef?”

“Yeah?” She inquired.

“Don’t tell Jenn what happened. I’ll explain to her tomorrow or something.”

“Of course.”

Stef and I both knew that if I told Jenn, she would rush over to find me and tend to me like a child. It was nice, but I didn’t like pity, so I avoided it.

I hung up and stood, deciding on getting a glass of water. I left the room and searched for a room that remotely looked like a kitchen. I walked around for what seemed like ten minutes, when I finally surrendered. This house was huge.

I tried opening one more door. I peeked through and saw Dan, sleeping on his bed, his phone near his pillow. I grinned. Looks like someone has separation anxiety, I thought to myself. Though, I’m not one to talk, I always slept with my phone nearby, and always carried it on me. The thought of having something in common with the human incarnation of Satan made me groan.

The mass of sheets stirred and I thought for a second that I had woken him up. Sighing in relief when he didn’t move, I walked towards his bed. Without giving it any second thought, I laid myself down next to him, so I would be spooning him from behind. After a couple of minutes, he moved a bit again.

“Whywereyougroaningtwosecondsago?” He said in a nasally morning voice. Which, by the way, sent my stomach in a frenzy.

“I just realized we had something in common.” I muttered bitterly.