Chapter 5- Project Beauty and the geek

Jillian’s POV

“Damn girl, I thought you said he was going to be hot.”I complained.

We were standing in front of our favorite diner, Al’s burgers, and were both looking at a guy sitting in one of the booths. Jenn had decided to set me up with some supposedly hot guy she knew. She said it would take my mind off things.

“Tough crowd.” She mumbled. “Listen, I know he’s the complete nerd package, but all he needs is a little makeover. Plus, he was the only guy available at such short notice.”

Little makeover?” I scoffed. “Even hiding him in a paper bag wouldn’t make him look presentable.”

Okay, so maybe I was being a bit harsh, he kind of looked like he was possibly muscular. Possibly, though it was impossible to tell under that turtle neck. Yes, a turtle neck. I’m not even exaggerating.

“All you have to do, is go shopping with him and I’ll take care of the way he has to act in public. Capish?”

“Well, I do like a good challenge.” I succumbed.

When I pushed the door open, the bell rang and suddenly the smell of delicious burgers wafted in the air. I inhaled sharply wanting to take it all in. The clinking noises coming from the kitchen and orders being yelled in the back made me think of home. I positively loved it here. It was my sanctuary. I often came here as a kid. Once I ran away when I was ten and I instantly came here. Albert, the owner had managed to calm me down, feed me and then called my parents to say that I was all right. I grinned at the thought. Al had always been like a second father to me, although not many people knew about him -or this diner for that matter.

“My little Jillian! She is good?” The old man’s voice boomed in the modest size room.

“Good as always.” A smile was tugging at my lips.

“Does you want zee usual?” he asked in a heavy French accent.

“Oui s’il vous plait.”

“Oh la gente demoiselle parle le français maintenant! Qu’elle grandit vite!” He rambled. I had no idea what he said.

I flicked my hair back and walked toward this geek guy’s booth. I slid in with ease.

“U-Um h-hi I um my n-n-name is um uh J-John.” He stuttered. Oh boy, we really had our work cut out for us.

“You can’t even remember your own name?” I scoffed, earning a glare from Jenn.

“Don’t mind her, she’s just PMSing.”She joked, but John didn’t laugh, he looked really scared. Ha. Wimp. Just like everybody else.

“Look here’s the thing.” I said. “No point beating around the bush. I need a date, or so my friend over here,” I jabbed my thumb in her direction, “thinks. And frankly, the only person available was you.”

He just stared, but then something inside him clicked.

“Y-you want me to be y-your d-date?” he asked. I think now would be one of those rare times when you can use the word flabbergasted.

“Sure but you’d have to change a few thing first and-

“I’ll do it.”

“You sure?” I asked, surprised by his sudden change in confidence.

“Will you make me look good?” He asked. I rolled my eyes.

“Of course we will!” Jenn exclaimed.