28. The Poor Mental Lady

The Poor Mental Lady

September 6, 1996

Dear Parents,

Here it is a bit abnormal lately. Swami is testing to see our mental peace in all situations! In two years no resident of the ashram died, but August saw three elderly residents going to happier and subtler realms. One office man (heart attack), one longtime resident Swami (a TB patient – took his last breath leaving the Prayer Hall) and sadly one suicide! A 70-year old came here to die but his ill healthy (heart trouble) dragged on for years and unable to bear the pressure & breathlessness, he jumped into a well near to his ashram room.

Next, one resident who has progressively deteriorated mentally during the last year, has gotten worse. Strangely, she sees faults everywhere, imagining ALL of them are caused by Jnaneswari! No matter how many hours a day she rants and raves shouting at Jnaneswari (even publicly), Jnaneswari is showing Buddha-like tolerance, despite us all appealing to her that it has gone too far. Currently, Jnaneswari is in seclusion to avoid the poor mental lady – being silent instead of ordering her out.

I am seeing all this as a drama, to test our equanimity. What is permanent? What is fleeting like clouds? Which should we immerse our minds in? Behind all names and forms is the reality: pulsating Light. To remember and experience it is bliss; to forget it and put the attention on the world is to lose mental peace! May He bless us all to remain firm in the Omnipresent Presence.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya