3. Krishnashtami's Grand Puja & Feast

Krishnashtami’s Grand Puja & Feast

September 3, 1994

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars. All is going on happily here – I hope that you are all fine, healthy and happy there.

We are still doing pujas daily – in the morning from 8-10 AM and in the evening 4-6 PM (on Fridays, 3-6 PM). Mostly it is just us regulars – about ten of us doing puja and five or six watching. On Fridays and Sundays, more people come and also sit for puja – then we are about 30 people total.

I come a little early and stay a little later, to help set up the places then clean up afterwards. No one asked me to, but I saw that only two others helped to clean up, so I also started helping.

Some of the supplies are stored at one end of the verandah where Jnaneswari meets people, and other things are put in the kitchen. To get to the kitchen area, there are two paths: either going around the back way, which is usually muddy; or going straight through Jnaneswari’s room! The four or five people who help with cleaning, cooking, etc., are all walking right through her room. But I felt bad to disturb her!

The other day, Jnaneswari caught me going around the back way and she said, “Hey! What are you doing?!” I said, “I didn’t want to disturb you, so I was coming around the back way.” She said, “No., no! Come through the room only!” Then I said, “What a life you lead! No privacy at all – all day long people are coming and going, coming and going through your room!” Then she said, “Who is coming and going? Where is coming and going? Who? Who?” And she had to repeat it several times before I was able to give her the right answer: “ONLY ONE! ONE only is coming and going!” Then she laughed happily, radiating joy all around, and held my chin saying, “Ah! Yes, yes!” Jnaneswari has a sweet and childlike face, and when one sees her one feels so much joy welling up inside.

Jnaneswari again came to my cottage on August 31. She came alone, laughing, and held my arm asking, “What news?” I could only say, “No moksha yet!” And as usual, she said, “There is nothing to gain, no new thing to acquire! It’s always with you, you are always THAT! All you have to do is recognize it.”

Then, she asked if I was eating alright and I answered that I was having tiffin in the morning and taking buttermilk also, “Even if I tell them that I don’t want milk, it’s not necessary, they are insisting on giving me,” I said. Then Jnaneswari became concerned and said, “You must have milk every single day without fail! You must!”

As we are not supposed to leave guests empty handed, this time I had a supply of rock-candy so I could give her a piece. She accepted it – and then I put a dot of kum-kum on her forehead! Before leaving, she smiling said, “We are so happy to have you here!” This made me feel very good! I answered, “I am so happy to be here!”

I also read her Swami Satchidananda’s letter. I had written separate letters to Swami Satchidananda and to Sriram at Anandashram, telling of my safe arrival and how much I like it here. I thought of photocopying the letter to send you – but as there are no stores and no Xerox for many miles around, I couldn’t do it. Anyway – here is his letter:

“Your loving letter of the 4th August has been received and the contents were read with joy. We had duly received your telegram also, intimating your safe arrival at Shanti Ashram after a comfortable journey.

Now you have the company of Pujya Mataji Jnaneswari and the required solitude and quietness at Shanti Ashram where you can do your sadhana without any disturbance. We are also glad that you are well looked after and Pujya Mataji is taking special care of you. Make the best of your stay there. May Beloved Papa bless you with speedy spiritual progress and the realization of your cherished goal resulting in eternal happiness.