5. Library Duty

Library Duty

October 15, 1994

Dear Parents,

Jnaneswari went to Hyderabad to visit devotees, from 6-16th October. A few days before she left, (I have been here two months now) she told me that the library had no one to run it, and she asked me if I could sit there for an hour in the morning and evening, so I agreed. Since then, in the morning I go to the Satsang from 7:30-9 AM. Then I go to the Library from 9:30-11:30 AM. In the evening I'm in the Library 3-4:30 PM, then evening Satsang from 6-8 PM.

The Library/Reading room is a huge, beautiful airy & light building, which remains mostly empty except for me - wonderful to sit quietly in, calm & serene vibration. As for Satsang, there are so few people (from 5-15 people) - that usually it is only me that remembers the order of the prayers! Not that I have memory, but I'm the only one who thought of writing down the order. When I came, there used to be gaps where everyone stopped and looked around. “What comes next?” they’d ask each other! But now it runs smoothly and nicely, as I make sure that the next prayers start on time, and everyone sings along (the whole program is done in unison, no leaders).

Susheela can be funny – she’s always very seriously trying to make this ashram more popular, the “Peace center of the world”! I don’t think it is meant to be. It remains a big, beautiful ashram with hardly any people – I guess people (evening in India) just aren’t interested in staying in such a far-off forest retreat, with no stores or banks, for many miles around! One day, I had the happy sight of seeing Jnaneswari laugh uncontrollably for a long time, with tears running down her cheeks, after hearing Susheela’s earnest plans to “Collect a monk” to teach Kriya Yoga here! Susheela just couldn’t understand why we were laughing at her very serious idea of “collecting monks” as if they were items in a bazaar!

Jnaneswari usually is away for her Birthday every year – as she dos not like being praised (her humbleness is the main mark of her personality and a quality Indians admire no end). This year 13 October (her 64th birthday) happened to fall on the last day of Dasara. They arranged a big yagna – a fire ceremony – for her long life & good health. I was happy to see the yagna with proper priests, chanting mantras! Just like Dasara in Prasanthi Nilayam (on a much smaller scale, of course). It was held outside, and we could sit close to the fire-pit. The priest even told each of us to offer wood into the fire, with prayers for Jnaneswari. Afterwards, we all went into the Mandir (big crowd – about 100 people!) and several people gave talks praising Jnaneswari’s life of selfless service and equal love for all creatures (I have seen a cat often sleeping happily on her chair – she doesn’t murmur a word, but just finds somewhere else to sit, like on a cement bench or window sill!). The talks were of course all in Telugu language. Afterwards they gave a feast to all – plus special yagna prasad!

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya