The Past, Present, and Hopeful Future.

"Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it."-The Lion King

Finally, we reached the outskirts of the town, alive and well, but exhausted. If it weren't for the falling snow, low temperature, and whistling wind, I would be asleep for sure. It was freezing, literally, maybe below. Although we all had heavy jackets on, I had to blink a few times to make sure my face was still there. Thankfully, the woods were either downhill or pretty flat.

We stopped for a water break and for rest. Oliver looked like he could sleep standing up and be fine. Dad nudged him and Oliver awakened quickly.

"I- I, uh, sorry, I'm just re-really tired." He stumbled out.

Dad nodded, understood and spoke, "Yeah its alright kid. You two must be really tired, how 'bout we pitch a tent, and you two rest?"

I couldn't tell you how much I loved my dad right then and there.

"Yes, please! Wait, but aren't you going to sleep?"

"I got some sleep in before, I'll keep watch, now can you get out the tents?"

I looked in the bag I had and pulled out a tent, "uh..." I began nervously, "th-theres, um, only one."

"Well, Oliver, I hope you like sleeping outside," Dad replied.

Oliver looked flushed, "uh, I gue-"

"Dad! This tents big enough, and he'd like get hypothermia or something!" I exclaimed.

"Alice, he is not staying in that tent with you."

"Why not? Believe me, I'm old enough to say no to whatever you may think he might do," I heard Oliver awkwardly clear his throat and I really tried not to blush, "and your going to be on 'look out' so you would notice any movement happening."

There was silence, and I looked to see if Oliver had fallen asleep. He looked to Dad and so did I. He looked like he was thinking something over seriously. Finally he responded.

"Alright," he said and looked straight at Oliver, "but if you so much as think of trying 'anything', well this gun won't be used for hurting vampires."

Oliver gulped and nodded stiffly, "yes sir."

Dad nodded and we all quickly set up the tent. Oliver and I entered it and exhaustedly laid down.

I laid down on my back and my mind thought of all that had happened. Emily was gone. My mind slipped to the image of a terrifying sight, her lifeless body.

I turned my back to Oliver, who was fast asleep, and I felt tears falling from my eyes. I tried to stay as silent as possible, but a sob escaped. Oliver immediately awoke and asked, "Alice? What's wrong?"

"N-nothing..." I choked out, "I'm fine, just go back to sleep." I felt Oliver move his hand along my shoulder as to comfort me.

"Is it Emily?" He questioned and I turned to face him.

He looked sad, but I imagined I looked worse. I nodded and he offered a hug. I buried my face under his arm. I cried and Oliver brushed his hand up and down my back. I felt a small sense of comfort. Once I started to feel better, I had found myself snuggled closely to him with his arms closely around me. I immediately blushed and scooted away to the only three inches left in the tent.

"Er...sorry about that," I blushed.

Oliver smiled, "Don't worry about it, it was...enjoyable if I may add." he blushed, a light pink adding to is bronze color.

"Oh..." I stopped for a moment. "thank you, you really helped if anything. I feel much better now."

"Anytime. Its the least I can do since you decided to take me along in this trip," his smile faded.

"I'm sorry about your family, by the way...I know how it feels to lose someone, especially a family member."

"Y-you do?"

I nodded. "My mom died about a year ago. It was the worst thing ever. She got really sick, bu-" I stopped, my voice quivering, as I felt tears coming again. Oliver offered another snuggle hug and I took it, knowing it would make me feel better. "She was my best friend. I miss her every day, I completely know how you feel. There will alway be a piece missing from me with her death, but I have learned to cry for a little and just get over it. That's the way it is, and the way it has always been. I wish I could he-"

"Alice, its okay. I'm glad I have someone to relate to, someone who can possibly help me through this, but you're right, maybe it's best to let go. They will alway be with us, but you're right to not live on it. You and I will hopefully get through this together. I could not think of a better person who could be in this claustrophobic tent right now with me besides you."

He smiled and my tears fell freely, he held me, stroking my hair as I snuggled even closer. In all the sadness, we we're both exhausted and feel asleep eventually. I felt better and I could sense Oliver did to.