The Friend

"Friendship is not about whom you've known the longest; it is about who came and never left your side."

"Um, yeah about that..." I started to trail off.

"Alice...what did you do?!" she exclaimed as we were walking towards the woods. She stopped once we were on the outskirts of the beginning of the woods. How was I going to explain to her what had happened, if I did, she was surely going to bite my head off, vampire or not.

"Uh..." was all I managed to get out.

She crossed her arms impatiently, and started tapping her foot, "I'm waiting, Alice."

"Okay, so I was really upset, and mad, and when Oliver and I were leaving I turned back to look at the town, and then I just started getting all these angry thoughts and feelings and I wanted my revenge against Vanessa," I explained, "and if I hadn't had left, then you wouldn't be her-"

"Alice do you realize what you've done? You let a perfectly nice boy, just walk away, what were you thinking?!"

The atmosphere around us was cold and pure, due to the newly fallen snow on the ground and trees. We had found a nearby log to sit on that didn't have but a few little bits of snow on it, due to the big branch above, shielding it. I turned and faced her, as she waited for a response.

"Obviously I wasn't thinking, Emily. I ju-jus-" my words were cut off, and I couldn't help but cry. Reality had sunk in, and I started to question what I had done. He was really gone, and I had just let him walk away, out of my life. What if I never saw him again? What if he never came back? Then the worst thought came to my mind, what if he was dead, or worse, a vampire?

Emily looked at me, and she had a sense of compassion on her face. She reached out her arms, as a mother would to her child, and I fell into them, crying. She knew what I did was wrong, and being Emily she had to tell me that, but she also knew I was hurt. I was glad that she was still the same, old, Emily we all knew and loved.

After a short amount of time passed, I was took a deep breath in, and sighed. There was no use in crying over him anymore, I mean, I guess I didn't need him, although that was a big, fat, lie. Maybe I just needed to get my mind off things.

"Hey, at least you still have me," chirped Emily, "cheer up."

She was so optimistic, but she was right, I was lucky to have her, back to her old self, although I did question how it had happened, "how did you reverse back to being a human anyway?"

"Well, you've heard the legend on how vampires came to be, right?" she started.

"Yeah, something like that. Blue moon fell over some town, and there was a fire, then some guy escaped, blah, blah, blah."

"So, you know that the stream he drank from was magical as well?" she quizzed. I don't know if I remember that part.

"Well you do now!" she exclaimed, "anyhow, I was able to pull a few strings, apparently I was a pretty good looking vampire. In the few time I spent there, I was able to find something, it was a book, and it was full of spells. It must be something that the very first guy, patient zero, if you want to call him, used in order to become a vampire. So, before I was but into that little shed, or 'dungeon' I read through it. Girl, let me tell you, there are all sorts of crazy things in there, did you know there's even one to get pregnant with a vampire baby? Gross!"

"Ew, Emily!" I cried, but it did get a giggle out of me, why would you want to carry a vampire baby in you?

"I know! That's probably why the guy gave me the book in the first place! But believe me, he was not getting any of this!" She joked, pointing to herself.