The Escape

"I can't escape this now unless you show me how" -Demons-Imagine Dragons

After Dad finished retelling the legend, Oliver looked as pale as snow, if not whiter. I softly patted his back, hoping it would help.

"So, what your saying, is that my family, are all one of those creatures," he gulped, not making eye contact with anyone, "they're, like, vampires?"

Sorrowfully, I saw Dad nod his head, "yeah, I'm sorry, kid."

Clearly, Daddy-Dearest knew nothing about comfort. I on the other hand, was so sympathetic, I could convince myself that it happened to me, instead of the other person.

"I- I know its hard, losing the ones you love most, and to have them attacked before your eyes, I can't imagine how traumatic it my be,"Oliver met my eye, good although my heart skipped a beat, at least I have his attention now, "I know you are strong, others would be completely broken by now. Oliver, I, uh, we need you to help us fight against those creatures."

He stayed quiet, probably thinking over what I had said. There was utter silence, until Dad spoke.

"The best thing to do right now is to get the heck away from here," Dad added, he looked at Oliver, "look, I want you to come with us, that is, if you want. I bet your pissed as heck at those things. I think there has to be away to stop them, so, Oliver would you care to join us?"

"Wait, hold up, stop them? How?" He questioned.

"Well," started my dad, "the vampires would have to hide somewhere, we find their base, destroy it, and they're all gone."

Oliver and I gave Dad such questioning looks, the doubt almost showed on his face.

"I don't see you two coming up with ideas."

"True enough, I guess its worth trying. One thing is for sure, we have to get out of this town," I agreed.

"I- I'm in. I have no where else to go, and I'm not about ti pass up an offer to possibly end those monsters," Oliver chimed in.

It took a lot to hide how happy I was that Oliver was joining us. I mean, what girl wouldn't be happy that her crush is joining her on a quest to destroy vampires.

"That's great," answered Dad, "we do need supplies though. Weapons, ammo, food, first aid, and supplies for the cold."

"Isn't there stuff in our storage?"

"Yeah, I guess we can look there, but I'll take care of food, Alice find things like camping supplies. Oliver, do you think you can gather first aid equipment?"

He nodded, but questioned, "what about weapons?"

"Oh right, here follow me."

Dad lead us to our garage which is basically our storage room. He walked to a safe and unlocked it. Lo and behold, guns, ammo, and knives were revealed.

"Can you shoot a gun, Oliver?" Dad quizzed.

"N-no, I never have. Uh, sorry," he shyly replied, "I have a good arm though, maybe throwing knives are my thing?"

Dad laughed, "yeah kid, everyone's got their 'thing' when it comes to weapons."

I hid a smile, Dad had a point. I silently swooned, Oliver was adorable.

"Anyway, Alice, take your pick." Dad added as he carefully dug out a knife belt, most likely for Oliver.

I picked out small waist holsters and put in small handguns. I carried an ammo belt as well. Big guns weren't my thing. I turned back to my dad and Oliver.

"I have my weapons picked, your turn Dad."

Oliver's eyes widened at the sight of me. I internally panicked. Was there something wrong with me?! Did I look too boyish? Ugh! Stupid vampires!

"Wow, Alice, you look so, so, badas-" he complimented.

"Hey boy, watch yourself and your mouth," Dad interrupted.

"Oh right, sorry, uh, sir," Oliver flushed and spoke a bit quieter, "Alice you look, so awesome."

I blushed, "thank you."

He smiled at me and then Dad turned back to us. He had chosen a rifle as his main weapon and packed switchblades where he could. I nodded in approval, hoping he hadn't heard Oliver.

"Now that we have our weapons all handy dandy to protect us, how 'bout grabbing the camping supplies, Alice, and first aid, Oliver."

We both scattered around storage to look for what we needed. I found thermal blankets, bags, a tent, and jackets that could definitely keep anyone warm. Oliver came to Dad and I with a whole first aid kit, while Dad said he would carry imperishable foods.

We were finally ready, ready to leave, and be on our way to, hopefully, end the vampires.

"Now look, its not gonna be all calm and quiet out there. If the vampires have spread, its gonna be complete chaos. You two need to remember, take out anything to save yourself. You got it?"

Oliver and I both nodded and Dad opened the door to the outside. It was so chaotic. There were terrifying cries, followed with innocent civilians trying to escape a pale blue creature. The horror had froze Oliver and I practically hypnotized, until a gun shot rang off.

"Come on guys!" yelled my dad as he attempted to sprint in the heavy snow that was on the ground.

We followed as quickly as we could. I took a gun in hand and shot at whatever bloody, monster approached me. As all three of us almost reached the woods, where the vampires, were suspected to be hidden, I recognized a small house I used to visit. Emily! I couldn't forget her. I went off course and barged into the house.

"Emily!" I yelled breathlessly, "EMILY!"

I ran past the living room, her kitchen and dining room. Her parents were gone, and she was no where to be seen. She couldn't be though, then I remembered, her room.

As I quickly entered, I saw a pale, blue, creature,never will I forget how scary, hideous, and disgusting it was. When the monster looked over at me, everything was still. Partly because of the crazed look on its face, with another's blood flowing down his chin, falling down its neck and dripping off, and also because of what it held in its arms, a lifeless, pale, woman.

Her face wasn't exactly visible, but my eyes stopped at her color streaked hair and my heart instantly broke. Emily, it had to be my best friend, someone who i considered practically a sister. I cried out in sorrow, anger, hate and fear and threw one of my shot a bullet right between its eyes which cause it to drop my lifeless Emily. Down fell the creature, and it turned to dust before it could touch its poor victim again. Tears filled my eyes and a piercing pain hit my chest.

Unexpectedly, I heard two beings enter the room quick. I didn't care anymore, I was in sadness, grief, I barely noticed who they were. Oliver and Dad entered in.

"Alice! There you are!" Dad exclaimed, "look we have to go."

"B-but Emily," I stammered.

Oliver made his way over to where I was, he attempted to make eye contact, but I didn't return it, "Alice," he took his hands in mine and I looked at him, "I-we, I mean, need you to keep fighting, I know you can be strong." He stated soothingly, just as I said to him.

I almost broke down again, but nodded instead.

"Your right," I said, "let's go."

We exited quickly to out of Emily's house, and Dad lead us out to the woods.