The Legend

"When you believe in things you don't understand
Then you suffer superstition ain't the way"
Superstitious-Stevie Wonder

"Alice," Oliver spoke, my shy, green eyes looked into his crystal, blue eyes.

"Y- yes?"

"Well, I, uh, have been meaning to ask you something," Oliver slowly said, "I didn't get the chance, well you know, cause of that brat Vanessa."

I dreamily smiled, "go on."

"Would you, Alice, want to maybe g-"

I heard my phone ring and my thoughts were interrupted. Oh great, I thought, I was daydreaming. I answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Alice!! Its yo gurl Rainbow!" She perked, "the snow may keep us away physically, but not verbally!"

I smiled, "Emily! Its so great to hear from you!"

"Awww, I knew you missed me," she laughed, I imagined a playful wink came with it as well, "so what have you been up to? Thinking of that hottie we met."

I immediately blushed, "uh, what?! N-noo..."

"Oh hon, your such a bad liar, don't worry, he's yours, not my type."

"How could he not be your type?! Can you not just get lost in those wonderful eyes?! And that hair, do you think its made of angel hair, or maybe just magically silky?" I rambled.

"Woah, you, girly have crush 101. It's adorable!"

"Is it that obvious?" I said.

"I dunno, you were basically gawking over him," she said, and I mentally face palmed.

"Oh great."

"It's going to be ok-" she was cut off by some static sound. It was common, because the service wasn't too great.

"Em, you're breaking up, call me back later, I lo-" the line went dead. Well okay then, I thought. Stupid cell phone company!

I laid there on the couch, daydreaming. I was just about to fall asleep too under the warm blanket I had. As I was just about to dose off, I heard a loud pounding, and it was coming from my door. Intrigued and slightly worried I quickly opened the door. This caused the pounding to stop and Oliver stumbled in. Surprised and excited, I managed to shut the door and turned to him.

He looked frightened as ever, his wonderful, breath taking smile long gone. Along with his bronze color drained from his face. What seemed like the most beautiful, silky, neat, coal hair only hours ago was messy and flaked with snow.

"Oliver? What's wrong?" He looked terrified.

"I...my family...the thing...eaten...or bitten seems like..."He stuttered frightfully.

"Oliver," I stopped his rambling and looked straight at him, "calm down, deep breaths, okay? Whenever you're calm and ready just tell me what happened."

After a few minutes, Oliver seemed calm enough. I handed him some hot chocolate, and he thanked me.

He slowly sipped his hot chocolate and started to explain what happened, "I was sitting in the living room with my mother and sister. My father had left to gather some last minutes things and left the door unlocked. That's when about ten minutes later I heard a scream and the next thing I know I see this..." he paused, "I swear I'm not crazy, but it had the whitest of skin, dark colored clothing, and when I caught its glance, the crazed creature had blood running down its chin. It got my mother...and my sister too. But Alice-" Oliver stopped and looked at me, "it's out there, the dangerous, crazed, murderous, thing is out there, who knows who the next target may be."

As I processed all that had been said, I heard my dad appear half awake enter.

"What's with all the noise? Jeeze Alice, you having a party?" Dad spoke, half asleep.

Oliver then repeated his story and silence fell and only the howling wind outside, bringing white snow was heard. Finally, Dad broke the silence, "It's happening. The legend is true."

Confused, I asked "what do you mean? What legend is true?"

"Well, this story...this legend some call it. My father told me and his father before told him. Long ago, there was a certain day that a blue moon crossed exactly at midnight. Since it was so rare, many families gathered outside to see it. The weather was cold that night and a fire was started. A sudden and unpredicted gust of wind passed, and this caused the fire to spread, burning everything. One man though, managed to escape. He went into the woods which was starting to disappear tree by tree. Finally, at what seemed like the edge of the forest, he found a stream. Tired and very thirsty he drank from it. The stream contained the reflection of the rare blue moon, which meant it suddenly made the water magical. When the man drank from it, he was given powers, he became as strong as a lion, with color of the rare blue moon, speed as fast as a cheetah, more alive than time itself. These powers came with a cost though, the man had an even bigger thirst, and it was for blood -human blood-. He was restricted only to be given this blood once every snowstorm...if he could manage his way through it, although he was strong, deadly frostbite, serious amputation, or even a stake to the head or heart would end in death for their kind."