The Boy

"I'm thinking out loud.
Maybe we found love right where we are"
Thinking Out Loud-Ed Sheeran

It all started one mid-afternoon, when I was laying on the couch. I saw my father walk in, and I immediately turned my attention to him.

"It says it's gonna snow over night, there's gonna be a pretty bad blizzard," stated my dad as he sat down next to me.

"Oh, not another one! I wish, just once, once, we could get just the littlest of sunshine," I whined, upset at the weather.

Where I come from it's miserably cold, except for an occasional sun ray during the summer and spring. I've lived in the house I'm in my whole life and I still haven't gotten used to the cold. I really don't like the cold! Neither has my dad, but he was born in California. What I'd give to go there one day.

My father and I are complete opposite in appearance, except our green shade of eyes match mine and personality. I was close to him, since he was the only one I really had left.

"I'll tell you what, I'll go head to the store and pick up some hot chocolate to enjoy, I need a couple things from there anyway. Do you mind getting the firewood, here in town? It's to expensive at the store," my dad asked.

"Sure," I agreed, and headed to my room to grab a heavy coat.

I headed out the door and walked to the nearby shop. There I saw my best friend since kindergarten, Emily, who was also headed to the door.

She greeted me with a smile, and we both hugged.

"Hey there stranger!" Emily perked.

I grinned, "Nice to see you to Rainbow."

See, Emily, well being the unique, crazy, person she is, had sparkling, brown eyes, that seemed to have a twinkle to them. Her hair was sprinkled with colorful, rainbow-like streaks. Which makes up for the nickname, Rainbow. I wonder sometimes if the nickname fits her hair better or her exciting personality.

She laughed, "I hope this stupid, snow passes soon! I feel like we haven't hung out in forever!"

"I know right! Maybe after the blizzard, you could come over and we could hang out at my place."

"That would be great, I'm sure my mom will let me," she replied and winked, "maybe I can rainbow-a-fy your hair."

"In your dreams," I laughed as we finally walked in the shop.

I must have been paying too much attention to Emily because as I went inside, I collided with someone. Before I could complain, our eyes met for a split second, and that was all it took for me to have fallen for him. He had the gentlest blue shade of eyes, with a strange, rare, bronze color of skin that was completed with an amazing smile and combed, coal colored hair.

I fell across from him, "I...sorry, I wasn't...and you...but" I stuttered in a dreamy gaze.

"Its alright, I wasn't paying attention," he replied with a friendly smile. He seemed to not care about the accident, and after I saw him, I didn't either.

"Yeah, I think it's the snow getting to me," He stood up and offered a hand of assistance which I took with a smile and a blush.

"I'm Oliver, by the way, my family and I just moved here about a week ago."

"I thought I saw a new face. Especially a really nice face like your- I mean, um, welcome to the neighborhood and town! I think you'll like it here, I'm Alice," I added and reached out my hand to great him.

"Its nice to meet you, Alice," Oliver said with another breathtaking smile, while shaking my hand.

His eyes sparkled and I felt like I could get lost in them forever. Then I heard a throat clear. Emily! In the embarrassing collision, which she had managed to dodge, she stood watching and listening to us talk. Oliver looked over at her.

"This is?"

"Emily, I'm Emily. Sorry to interrupt, but Alice and I have to get our firewood."

"Oh yeah, that," my face went flat.

"Well I hope to see you around, you seem like lovely girls," he said with a smile, "maybe we ca-"

"Oliver! How are you neighbor?!" said a highly, recognizable, approaching voice said while the door to the shop swung shut.

It took me a few seconds, but I recognized the voice. It was the one and only Vanessa. I know, you may be wondering who she was. Well, she was the most self-centered, rude and fake girl, I have ever met. Needless to say, we had out differences.

She practically pranced up to Oliver in her fancy, black, expensive, combat boots that she knew no one could afford. Vanessa had silky, thin, black hair and hazel eyes, which seemed the only natural thing about her.

She walked over to where we were standing, he boots clicking against the tile of the shop.

"Hey there, um...?" He embarrassedly stuttered as she threw her arms around him, giving him an unwanted hug.

"Don't tell me you forgot my name!" She exclaimed, "I'm your new neighbor! Vanessa!"

"Aw, too bad he doesn't care!" Emily interrupted cyclically.

"Oh, shut it rainbow freak," she flipped her hair back and put on a fake smile for Oliver.

"I- i, uh...have to get going," he uncomfortably stuttered.

She reached and brushed his bangs flirtatiously, "I'll see you later, neighbor," she winked and he uncomfortably walked out.

No, this rich little brat was not going to ruin things for me. Oh no.

"Listen Vanessa, since when do you have the right to just march in here and interrupt. There's something called manners which, unfortunately, can't be bought. I understand if you have trouble learning them, being a spoiled brat must take up most of your thoughts." I snapped at her.

She scoffed at me, "excuse me?!"

"Sweetheart, he's not interested!" Exclaimed Emily.

"Fine," she glared at me, "you just picked a fight with the wrong person."

She stormed off and Emily looked at me. I shyly spread a smile on my face and thankfully she returned it, as we bursted our laughing.

"That, was awesome," she laughed.

"I know right!" I replied happily and then reality set in, "ugh, my dad is probably wondering where I am, sorry, I have to go."

"Same with my folks, let's get our wood and blow this popsicle stand!"

Emily and I grabbed some firewood and said our goodbyes. I finally reached the house and started to make the hot chocolate, seeing it set out for me on the counter.

"That's the best batch you've ever made Ali," my father said with a smile after he finished his cup.

"Dad, that's what you always say," I replied rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, and I mean it every time."

"Well thank you, I guess, are you heading to sleep soon?"

"Well, all the chores seem to be done so I think sleep sounds like a good idea. Goodnight," he said, heading off to his room.

"Goodnight."

*******************************
So what do you think so far! Leave a comment (:
Question of the chapter:
What do you think of Alice?
Pictured above is Logan Lerman, or in this story, he is played by Oliver. Sorry ladies, he's mine ;) oops hehe.