Chapter 1: The Morning of Night

A persistent cry for attention rang in a teen's ear. He groaned and pulled the cover over his head to block out the sound. But the ringing got louder and there was a tired sigh. Bright orange hair came out of the covers and the person belonging to it turned off the alarm. He swung his legs out of bed and shuffled to the door with a mighty yawn. But seconds before his hand hit the knob...

"Ichigo!"

Said strawberry was kicked backward to the bed and growled at his dad. He rubbed his face and got up. "What do you think you're doing, you stupid goat?"

Before Isshin could come back, Karin came and pulled on his ear. "Come on dad. Ichigo has to get ready for school." She pulled him down stairs and gave Ichigo a wink.

Ichigo smiled and got ready for another hard day of High School, putting on his shirt and pants and then walking down the stairs his dad and sister disappeared to a little earlier. He met his family around the table and sat down for breakfast.

"So Ichi-nii, what classes are you taking?" his sister asked, serving his bowl of rice.

"I don't know. I'll know when I meet up with my friends. "Ichigo said looking at the clock. "I have to eat fast. School starts in a little bit and I have a long walk."

Ichigo quickly wolfed down his food, his dad looking utterly pissed.

"Ichigo! Eat properly at the table! I thought I-"

"Dad! Calm down. He's in a rush, so cut the crap, and eat or you'll be late too." Karin interjected.

Ichigo thanked Yuzu for the food, ran upstairs to grab his bag, then back down to put on his shoes. "Bye, everyone! See you after school!"

Oddly, Ichigo was excited for school. There was something about today that felt different than any other, besides the fact he was now a second year at Karakura High. Something about today was about to change his whole world.

...

'That smell...its close...It's been teasing me for so long and now I'll have it...'

"Shiro-chan! Are you ready for school? If so, c'mon." said a female voice.

"It's not Shiro, its Toshiro. Momo." Toshiro yelled grabbing his things. He walked quietly down the steps, meeting his cousin. She had a near sick look on her face, but assured Toshiro she was alright.

"Not going nocturnal, are you?" Toshiro asked.

"I still haven't gone through my Rites of the Undead, so of course not. You on the other hand..." Momo mused.

"I'm fine, Hinamori. Sunlight doesn't bother me one bit." he sighed. "I'll be off now."

Momo nodded, and watched Toshiro leave. She sighed, gripping at the air in front of her.

"There's no need for you now, now that I've found it." she said a staff appearing before her.

-Now the course of destiny takes its unruly turn as a group of mysterious people watch Toshiro leave his home, and Ichigo as he entered the school building...-