Chapter Twenty-Nine

Katniss POV:

I hate Spanish so much. Seriously, it's so frustrating! Ugh, I have to pee.

"Can I go the bathroom?" Cato asks anxiously.

Damnit Cato.

He seems so different. Something is wrong. Being the good friend I am, I follow him out. I make up an excuse why I need to go to my locker and I see him jog out of the double doors. He gets in his car and speeds away.

I send him a quick text.

Katniss: Dude, are you ok?

He opens it, but never responds. I sigh and head back to class. I just have a bad feeling about this.

Clove's Mom POV:

Finally! There was such a big riot on the streets. With the Hunger Games ending after one of the longest battles yet. Three months! They were sure fighters! I'm sure Clove is ecstatic that Jax won. I know she was upset about Lyla, so maybe that'll make it up to her.

I get home to see that I left my phone on the counter. Twenty missed calls! I go into Clove's room to find her not there. The bathroom is a complete mess! There's junk all over and pills knocked around. I grab my phone to see 12 calls from a number I'm not familiar with and 8 from Cato.

I call Cato back and he answers on the second ring.

"Thank God, Mrs. Sevina! Come to the hospital now. The doctors will explain everything." He tells me.

"What is this about?" I ask, awfully confused.

"Clove. Just get here quick. She's okay." He assures me.

I feel tears roll down my face. I am so worried, something happened to my baby. Before I can begin my drive, I spot two letters. One is for me, the other for my husband. I grab them both and head to the hospital.

Cato POV:

After giving Clove's mom the news, I head back into her room.

"Who was that?" She asks.

"Your mom."

Her face gets red. "No, I don't want to face her."

"Don't worry, Clover. You don't need to be worrying right now."

"Okay, I just-"

I interrupt her by kissing her gently.

"You don't need to say it. I know babe."

She looks at me with apologetic eyes. She turns on the TV and Ceaser Flickerman is reporting.

"After the longest games yet, the winner is Jax from District Two!"

I'm shocked! I look over at and her eyes brighten a bit.

"Thank God." She says softly.

"Cato?" The young nurse calls in.

"Yes?"

"Can I speak to you for a minute?"

I nod and head to the hallway.

"We need to get ahold of her parents, they need to know. We're about to send the police for them. Any luck?"

"Yeah actually, I just got ahold of her mother. She's on her way. Her dad is the GameMaker, so I'm sure he's beyond busy."

"Too busy for his own daughter that tried to commit suicide." She rolls her eyes. "Mr. Sevina isn't going to like this story."

"Yeah seriously." I half-smile at her.

"I'm looking for Clove Sevina. She's my daughter!" I hear someone yelling.

"That's Clove's mom!" I quickly tell the nurse.

The nurse runs over to Clove's mom and slowly explains everything. I can see the life and brightness leave her body. She breaks down and falls to the ground, sobbing.

"How did I not know my own daughter was depressed? How did I not see this coming." She cries more.

"What the hell is going on here?"