Chapter Fifteen

Cato POV:

I turn on my TV to time into the reapings. District One's is on first and a pair of attractive blondes get picked. They look really fierce and vicious. Intimidating really. Next is District Two's.

Please don't be Clove. Don't be stupid, Clove. Please. Please.

The lady draws a name and yells into the microphone.

"Clove Sevina!"

Clove's face goes completely white. She wasn't expecting that. Neither was I. Shit, no she can't go into the games! This cannot be happening. I can't lose her.

"I volunteer as tribute." A tall skinny blonde girl speaks up.

Clove looks super relieved until she turns around and sees the face of the girl. She must know her or something.

The girl walks up on the stage and announces that her name is Lyla. That sounds familiar, I think Clove might have mentioned her. It must be one of her friends. Wow, what a great friend to volunteer for her like that. I thought for sure Clove was going into the games. In moments like those, you really do realize how much you love someone.

Next, a boy named Jax volunteers for another boy. I think Clove had mentioned Jax too. I hope she's not taking it too hard. That she's potentially losing two of her best friends. I can just imagine her sitting in her room alone crying and there's nothing I can do about it. It absolutely breaks my heart.

After District Two's reaping is over, I decide I should probably go to school. I jump in my car and head there.

I make it with about ten minutes before class, so I go to find my friends. I spot them sitting at a lunch table. I decide to join them.

"Hey guys." I say.

"Hey." They mumble back.

"What happened?" Finnick asks me.

"She got picked, but someone volunteered for her, thank God." I say relieved. "But both of her best friends are going into the games, and I can imagine she's not doing very well. She's probably so upset."

"Aw, poor Clove. I wish she was here." Katniss says.

"Yeah me too. When does she get back?" Johanna asks.

"In a month. I'm not sure if I can wait that long." I tell them. And I honestly am not sure if I'll be able to do it.

"Isn't she in basketball?" Peeta asks me. Basketball season starts in a few weeks and everyone is hoping Clove will be just as good as she was in volleyball.

"Yeah, I think she's pretty good too."

"Well yeah, you would think."

Suddenly, an unexpected figure sits down at our table. Glimmer.

"Aw, just like old times right?" She says, faking a smile.

"Go away, Glimmer." Johanna sasses.

"Look I just want to be friends. When Clove was still here, I tried so hard to convince her to not go into the games. I have no clue if she'll be back, and it scares me. What if she doesn't? Then I just lost my best friend. I think all of us would make a great group." She rambles on fast.

"You're just saying that because she's gone for awhile and you don't have any friends. We don't want to hear it." Peeta says.

"How does it feel to not be at the top anymore?" Katniss asks with a smirk.

"You know Clove was just playing right? She's been friends with us and dating Cato this whole time. She was just getting close to you, then telling us everything about you." Johanna spills to Glimmer, her smirk matching Katniss'.

"You guys are lying." Glimmer refuses to face the truth.

"Guys stop." I speak up. They're starting to act like Glimmer. What's up with girls and the whole following thing? First Clove, now Katniss and Johanna?

"Why? This thing was your idea too." Johanna says to me.

"Because we're going to far. Stooping to her level." I say before getting up from the table and heading down the hallway.

"Cato, wait!" I hear a voice yell. It's Glimmer.

I turn around and she's walking towards me.

"Thank you for defending me Cato. It means a lot." She smiles at me.

"I wasn't defending you. I just don't want to be known as the mean kids anymore."

"Well still. Thank you."

"No problem, I guess."

"Look, I know we ended on a bad note but we can change that." Glimmer says while casually bringing her hand up to my bicep. Oh, I get it. She's trying to flirt with me.

"No, we can't. I have to go." I say while walking past her. Suddenly she grabs my arm and pulls me towards her. Glimmer's lips crash to mine.

Clove POV:

"Clove!" I hear my dad yell from outside my door.

"What?" I ask him, getting out of bed.

"Change of plans. We have to go now. I have some work to do in the Capitol. Get changed and pack up." He says before walking away.

Yes! Finally, I can see my Cato. I really have missed him, even though it's only been two days. In moments like these, you really do realize how much you love someone.

I grab my suitcase from the side of my room and walk out the door. Good thing I didn't unpack.

"Not that I'm complaining, but what's the rush?" I ask my mom.

"Your father has some business to be taken care of. Clove, what happened to your face?" She asks, caressing my cheek.

I am instantly confused before I remember my dad hit me last night.

"Oh nothing I just fell." I say quickly. I fell? Duh! How could I just fall and have a mark on my face. Luckily, my mom believes it.

"Aw, you need to be more careful hun." She laughs and walks away.

Phew, that was a close one.

I would never tell her that my dad hit me. It's not the first time though. My dad is an alcoholic and to be honest not a very good guy. I always try not to think about it or else it will get me upset. I've never been too fond of him, but like I said I would never tell my mom. I'm scared she'll confront him and then he'll hit her.

Speaking of the devil, my dad walks in the room. He has a suitcase and is heading towards the door.

"Let's go. We don't have time to waste."

We both follow him to the train.

I wish I could go see Lyla and Jax's family. I had always been close to them. I wonder how they're taking it. I assume Jax's family is doing a little better than Lyla's because they knew he was going to volunteer.

The train ride is long and boring, but this time I can't fall asleep. I just stare out the window, and think about Cato. Shit, my dad told me I couldn't see him.

Fuck it. I love Cato and there's no way that I cannot see him.

After an hour or so, my dad announces that we're back home.

I decide that I still have time to get to second block of school, so I head there. I walk down the familiar hallways and see a couple kissing. It makes me envious because I miss Cato so much. Wait a minute, that looks like Cato. It is. And the girl he's kissing is Glimmer.