Chapter Twenty-Six

Cato POV:

That was it. She left me, threw me out. I argued, screamed, begged her not to do this. She wouldn't listen. I tried so hard to contact her. Whether it was at school, or texting or calling her. I love her, and I know she loves me. Why would she do this? That is something I don't understand, nor will I ever.

It's been three months.

She's out of her wheelchair and is walking around fine. But she's not the same person. She's dark and angry. Not once have I seen a smile on her face. Almost everyone has tried to make contact with her, but she won't talk to anyone. It hurts me so much to see her like that. I want to make her happy, but I can't.

She's so skinny too. I swear she's lost 15 pounds. That scares the hell out of me. I doubt she's eating. I try to approach her about it, but it won't work.

Other than Clove, a lot has happened. We lost the basketball championship and it was all my fault. I scored 2 points that game with 1 rebound. I also had 13 turnovers that game. I let my team down. It's the worst feeling ever, other than not being with Clove of course.

It's just how much I miss her is crazy. All I want to do is hold her. I wish I knew how I could get her back. I would honestly do anything. She has no idea how much she means to me.

(At school)

Clove isn't at school today. I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling in my stomach. Something isn't right. I can feel it.

Katniss POV:

This isn't right. Clove seems as if she hates us. She can't hate us. She's my best friend and I miss her. Cato's completely lost. He won't go out with us, he just lays at home all day. We're all different and strange. We just need to find something to do about it, before it's too late. Before it can't be reversed.

"Cato!" I call when I see him. He looks up at me, and I barely recognize him. He looks so bland. And it looks like he hasn't slept in weeks. I feel so bad for him.

"Have you talked to Clove? We need to have an intervention."

"I've tried. She won't hear it. She hates us, the sooner you realize it, the better." He says before turning away. I catch his arm and turn him back towards me.

"Well try harder. You don't give up on people you love."

Clove POV:

This is it. I can't do it anymore. My mom thinks I'm sick again. I assured her it was okay to run to town and do some errands. It gives me about three hours to get it done. I sit and write. To my mom, my dad, and Cato.

Dear Mom,

I love you so much. I'm sorry, it's just I don't enjoy life anymore. Life is sick and cruel. I don't want to be here anymore. Just know I love you so much, and this is not your fault.

Love, Clove

Dear Dad,

In the letter to mom, I told her how much I loved her. Yours, however, will NOT be like that. I hate you. I hate you more than anything in the world. You're the worst man I've ever met in my life. I don't even know who you are. Goodbye.

Dear Cato,

I just want to start out by saying I'm sorry. I'm sorry I shut you out. I'm sorry I left you. I'm sorry for being such an awful person, but I didn't want to get hurt in the end, and I didn't want for you to get hurt. So if I ended it there, things would be easier. So I thought. Matter of fact, it was worse without you. Everything was awful without you. I never knew how much I could love a person, until you. Please don't blame yourself. I don't think you know how much I love you. Loved you. Find someone who won't hurt you. I won't be in your way anymore. Goodbye.

I go to the bathroom and find the pills. I dump out a bunch in my hand and swallow them.

I feel dizzy. I sit down before I fall.

"Clove! What are you doing?" I hear a voice. It's...Lyla.

"Lyla?" My voice is faint.

"What the fuck are you doing? You're such an idiot! How could you do this?" She yells at me.

"I'm sorry."

"Clove!" I hear another voice yell.

"I love you." I whisper before all I see is darkness.