Chapter Twenty-One

Clove POV:

"Clove! How could you be so stupid?" My dad screams as he walks in the room.

"Nice to see you too, dad." I say sarcastically.

"You could have died! Why would you get in the car with a stupid drunk? I even forbid you to see him, yet you went against my word completely!" He yells at me.

"Calm down. It was my fault too. And how dare you call him a drunk? Especially coming from the alcoholic!"

I see his hand rising to hit me so I close my eyes and flinch. After five seconds, the punch never comes. I open my eyes to see Cato having my dad's arm in his hand looking into his eyes fiercely.

"Don't you dare touch her!" He yells at my dad.

"And what are you going to do about it?" My dad smirks.

"I'll tell the Capitol that you're really a good for nothing drunk that abuses his daughter! Now get the fuck out!" Cato screams.

"You would have no proof." He tells Cato.

"Oh yeah?" Cato pulls out his cell phone from behind his back. "Got it all on tape."

My dad gulps and walks out of the room slowly. I've never seen him back away so fast, but Cato is pretty intimidating.

"Are you okay?" He asks me after my dad was out of the room.

"Yeah, thank you Cato." I thank him. I don't know what I'd do without him. "I don't think you'll be going to prison now. He won't sue you."

"I hope not. Honestly, I didn't get anything on tape but he doesn't have to know that." Cato smirks.

"Clever." I smirk back.

"So what do you want to do today?" He asks me.

"I don't care. I just need out of this room!" I complain thinking of the agonizing week just laying in bed.

"I have an idea." Cato smiles. "Be right back.

He comes back about a minute later, rolling in a wheelchair.

"Ready?"

"Oh my gosh, will we get in trouble?" I laugh.

"Not if they don't catch us." He smiles and walks toward the bed. "Let me help you down."

He picks me up bridal style and slowly puts me in the wheelchair. I bump my ankle on something and I hiss in pain.

"Shit."

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" He asks quickly.

"Yeah I'm fine." I smile to assure him.

"Okay." He leans down and kisses my forehead. Then he gets up and stands behind me and starts pushing.

He walks only when he sees doctors, otherwise he's running which makes the wheelchair go super fast. As flying around the corners, we both cannot stop laughing. Although, I think our laughing gave us up.

"Excuse me, what is she doing out of bed?" A nurse asks.

"Um, we g-got permission." Cato stumbles.

"Nice try." The nurse smirks. "You have half an hour, then she's back in bed. Got it?"

"Yes ma'am." Cato says trying to hold in a laugh.

She giggles a bit before turning away.

When she is out of earshot, we both go into a fit of laughter.

"Uh..we had permission!" I mock him.

"Shut up! That's all I could think of!" He says, laughing once again.

Once we calm down a bit, we start flying again.

"We better get back." I say sadly.

"Yeah. I know." His voice matches mine. "Hey, I'm sorry you missed your homecoming."

"It's fine, we still have one more year." I try to assure him. I was actually really looking forward to it, but I'm just fortunate that I'm even alive.

"The minute you're completely healed, we're going to play one-on-one. Then I'll show you who's better." He smirks, being awfully cocky.

"Who's the cocky one now?"

"I think you can be cocky when you're good." He mocks me, referring to our first date when we were bowling.

"Hey, you can't steal my sayings!" I fake yell at him.

"Too bad." He smiles before leaning down and kissing me.

"Ahem." An old couple interrupts us.

We burst into a fit of laughter once again.

We go back into my room and talk for awhile. We've done so much bonding lately, I feel like I know everything about him.

"Thanks for today, Cato. I thought I was going to die just laying in this bed all day."

"Oh no problem. Anytime." He smiles.

"And also for being here everyday. You don't have to be, you know? I don't want to take up all your time."

"Are you kidding? I choose to be here. There's nothing I would rather be doing."

"Okay, well thanks." I blush. Why does he still have this effect on me?

I feel my phone vibrate.

Johanna: Hey sorry we couldn't make it today. 😩 We'll all be there tomorrow!

Clove: No problem! I'm excited to see you!! 😘

"Glimmer? What the hell are you doing here?" I hear Cato say.

Glimmer? Why would she be here. Suddenly I see a familiar figure walk behind her.

"Fuck no, you both better get out!" Cato says as he walks up to the people.

"Bro take it easy." Marvel says while putting his hands up in defense.