Chapter Fourteen

Clove's POV:

"Clove Sevina!" She calls.

Shit, no! I wasn't expecting to get called. I don't want to go into the games, I can't!

I start to walk up there before I hear a loud voice behind me.

"I volunteer as tribute!"

Thank God! Phew. I turn around to see who it is. I am shocked. Lyla volunteered for me. She hates me. Why would she do that?

"Okay, come up here young lady." The lady smiles.

Lyla walks up on the stage thing. No, she can't go up there! But I can't volunteer for her like I always promised.

"What's your name?"

"Lyla Popilli." She says with a rather brave face. Props for her for the acting, the Capitol will love that. It'll get her quite a few sponsors.

"Very well." The lady smiles. "Now for the males."

"Alexander Glass!" She says joyfully.

A small boy starts to slowly walk up before Jax jumps out.

"I volunteer."

"Wow, two volunteers right in a row. Come on up."

Jax follows directions and starts to walk up on stage. He looks at Lyla with an expression that I'm unsure of. Maybe hurt, shocked? Like I said, I'm not sure but I can tell you that they're not super excited and happy to be up there.

"What's your name boy?"

"Jax Aldin."

"There you have it. Your two tributes from District Two. Shake hands please."

Jax and Lyla and shake hands, avoiding eye contact.

It's probably too difficult. They know at least one of them will be dead in a matter of weeks.

I can't lose either of them. They're my best friends, I love them. I'd rather go in there and get killed than have to see them meet the end.

I run to the meeting rooms to talk to my friends. I go to talk to Jax first.

"Jax." I look at him.

"Hey Clove."

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea she was going to do that."

"Yeah, me neither." He sighs.

"So what are you going to do?" I ask.

"Let her win. I'm going to protect her. That's why I've been training. To protect her." He tells me.

"You're such a great boyfriend, Jax. I love you, and I'm really going to miss you." I tell him, trying to stay strong.

"Love you too C. You've always been such a great friend." He smiles before pulling me into a hug.

"And if anything happens to Lyla,
God forbid, but if anything does happen. Promise me that you'll win. One of you deserve to win."

"I promise." He smiles.

"I'm going to talk to Lyla now. May the odds be ever in your favor." I tell him, blinking back tears. I walk out and head to the room that Lyla is in. I take a deep breath, and walk in.

"Clove." She says, shocked.

"Lyla, why the fuck did you do that?" I scream.

"Clove, listen-"

"No, you hated me at the beginning of the day now you're saving my life? I don't get it."

"Clove, look. I love you. You're my best friend. You have so much to look forward to. You live in the Capitol. I live here where everything is the same. You have to go back to your boyfriend. He loves you, you love him." She tells me.