76 | I Got A Vision

The leather bed felt cold under my palms. I waited for Dr. Evans. I was sure Mom and Dad were waiting outside the hall.

Wearing the hospital clothes again made me queasy. I was always reminded of Liam, and then I would feel sad again. I hadn't moved on, I realized. And it had been more than five months since the accident. I knew I was getting nowhere with my situation.

Dr. Evans returned. He looked at me through his thick-rimmed glasses. His salt-and-pepper hair was neatly slicked back. His skin was as fair as his lab coat.

"We'll start by cutting the bandage out, Charlie," he said. He held the scissors up so I could see. As he did I felt the cold metal against my side. I had some wounds on my back and side from the accident. Now the doctor said I was all ready to remove them.

When the bandage was out, the cold air condition air breezed against my back. I shivered. I quickly put my T-shirt back on.

"And I can move without my crutches?" I asked him.

Dr. Evans smiled. "Oh, certainly. Just be careful next time, alright, kid? You have your whole life ahead of you."

I nodded.

"Come on, let's see you stand and walk without the crutches," Dr. Evans said.

Slowly I lifted my leg from the high leather bed and touched the tiled floor. And then I slowly did with the other.

No pain. So far, so good, I thought.

"Walk a few more feet, Charlie," Dr. Evans instructed.

Taking a deep breath, I breathed a silent prayer and began to walk one foot in front of the other. And then another. And another.

I turned to Dr. Evans and smiled in infinite relief. "I'm... okay."

He laughed and patted my shoulder. "Of course you are!"

As soon as I got out of the doctor's office, Mom tackled me in a hug yet again. Dad ruffled my hair.

"My big boy's so strong!" She said, tweaking both my cheeks.

"Mom!" I whined.

"Yeah, Charlie is all grown up," Dad said with a grunt, his hands on his hips. "So, when are you going to introduce a girl to us, huh?"

Mom shoved him. "Not that grown up!" Then she put an arm around me. "Charlie, you're free to be as young as you want. I'm so okay with you not getting a girlfriend or wife, all right?"

"Of course not! What about the grand-kids we've always aspired?" Dad said.

I made a disgusted face. "Ugh, Mom, Dad. I'm sixteen."

They laughed.

My phone beeped. It was from Meredith.

"I need to leave," I told Mom and Dad.

"But we're supposed to have dinner in Helen's," Mom said.

"I'll be there." I said. "Dad, can I borrow your car?"

Mom gave Dad a knowing look. Dad looked at her hesitantly, but he turned to me and said, "We'll meet you at Helen's."

"Dad!" Mom whined.

"What?" Dad said, chuckling. "The kid just got out of his bandage weeks. He deserves to be free."

"Thanks!" I said, sprinting into the elevator doors.

----------

Meredith: I got a vision. Come over quick!

"You too?" I said, watching Samuel trot up the curb to Meredith's front porch. I slammed my car door shut and caught up to him.