36 | The Love Of The Lord

Steven smiled warmly. The memory of his first meeting with God was obviously beautiful. I could say the same about mine.

"And so I started to get curious," he continued, "I have never ever heard someone talk to me about my soul and all that religious stuff. Before, I thought God was some sort of religion. No one around me has ever talked about their soul and all. I never expected to get that kind of talk. Let alone from a little kid. 

"I asked my dad who she was. He told me her name was Meredith Caraway. He said it this way, 'That kid's pretty famous around here. Neighbors say she's all around town spreading God's Word.' And I said, 'What? A kid preacher?' My father shrugged, 'She just hands out those sticky notes and tell them about her religion. Some of the neighbors think she's nuts, some think she's doing a good thing. All I know is she's harmless. Though her parents must be the same thing. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you know.'

"'Poor kid', I said. But little did I know, I was the poor one for not knowing God during that time. Anyway, long story short--she led me to Christ. And I couldn't be happier."

I smiled. "What Meredith has... I want it. I want to bring change--real change everywhere I go. Activism isn't real change, it's just saying and encouraging people, but they don't change, not really. Evangelizing is real change. Telling people about Jesus is the real change."

Steven looked at me. Then slowly he smiled. He patted my shoulder. "I've always wondered why Meredith would like you. You're... chosen, Charlie. You may not have known it before, but from your mother's womb, the Lord has chosen you already. He has appointed that exact day to be your day to receive salvation from Him. 

"John chapter fifteen verse sixteen says: You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last--and so that whatever you ask in My name the Father will give you."

I smiled. I tensed my shoulders a little. "I'm so blessed. Sometimes I wished I could have known the Lord better, but I keep being reminded that the Lord's timing is always perfect. And I couldn't be happier to meet Meredith and Samuel and you, Steven, right now. I can't wait to continue onto this journey with the Lord."

Samuel furrowed his eyebrows. "What about me? Am I chosen by the Lord?"

Steven laughed. "Of course! If you weren't, you wouldn't be here. See, this verse also talks about all people. God chose every one of us for His kingdom. But that depends if you answer His call. If you respond to your real calling. Your calling isn't a job here in the world, it's serving the Lord. And whatever talents you have right now, it was the Lord who gave it to you. It's His gift to you. But what you do with it is your gift to Him. So use all your talents for Him.

"And as for the chosen ones, it's says in Matthew chapter twenty-two verse fourteen: For many are called, but few are chosen. So that means everyone is called by the Lord. Everyone. But few are chosen because few are the ones who answer his glorious calling. His amazing plan. Too many people are being manipulated by the devil and it's tragic.

"But that's also the reason why God wants us to go out there and spread the Gospel to all nations. In second Peter chapter three verse nine: The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. And so you're right, Charlie. You shouldn't complain and wish something else. Don't have God any other way. Just be glad to have found Him. His timing and plans are perfect. And this verse also tells us never to give up on people. Only give up when God says you should, but until He says a word, go out there and tell them of the glorious truth found in Jesus Christ our Lord."

Samuel smiled and closed his eyes. His face reflected a dreamy glow, and I wondered if he thought of heaven. "That's nice. I love the Lord."

I smiled.

Steven cleared his throat and grinned. "So, back to our topic about salvation. It's all about faith. Believing. Jesus promises us that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. We can receive God's gift of salvation by placing our faith in what Jesus has done on the cross for us. To believe is to trust Jesus.

"Since this is a gift, you will not pay for it, you will not work for it. You don't have to do good things to receive the love of God and His gift of salvation. You only have to accept it. No gift is ever paid. And Jesus knew we could never afford salvation and so He paid for it for us through dying on the cross.

"In all honesty, Jesus is powerful enough to save us just by a snap of his fingers or a word from His mouth. He is the King of kings and Lord of lords. But why did He have to go through all the sufferings and die on the cross? Why did He have to have himself murdered for us?"

Samuel and I exchanged glances.

"Because He wants us to know how much He loves and values us," Steven continued, "He wants to emphasize that our souls and hearts mean so much to Him than to anyone else. He wants us to know that the love He has for us is immeasurable and indescribable. He wants us to know that His love will never ever end. The cross is the ultimate expression of His love. On the cross were our every sin paid--the sins we did and the sins we will ever do. And so salvation is being offered to all. And all you have to do is receive it for yourself. It is intended for you, after all.

"It says in Romans chapter eight verses thirty-one to thirty-nine: So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? If God didn't hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing Himself to the worst by sending His own Son, is there anything else He wouldn't gladly and freely do for us? And who would dare tangle with God by messing with one of God's chosen? Who would dare even to point a finger? The One who died for us—Who was raised to life for us!—is in the presence of God at this very moment sticking up for us. Do you think anyone is going to be able to drive a wedge between us and Christ's love for us? There is no way! Not trouble, not hard times, not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not bullying threats, not backstabbing, not even the worst sins listed in Scripture:

They kill us in cold blood because they hate you.
We're sitting ducks; they pick us off one by one.

None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us."

"That's powerful," I caught my breath.

Steven chuckled. "Powerful is an understatement."