113 | The One Who Stands Firm To The End

When I came home, Meredith and Grandpa Chuck were talking with my parents. They seemed to be having a good time as soon as I stepped on the foyer.

"Charlie!" Meredith exclaimed with her charming toothed grin.

"Hey, guys," I smiled sheepishly. I didn't expect everyone would be here. 

"You okay?" Meredith asked, tilting her head, her eyebrows scrunched together. Today she wore a plaid flannel shirt, black jeans, and her brown leather boots. Her long, dark brown hair was pulled high in a ponytail. She never wore makeup. And she always didn't care to show the "imperfections" of her face. But I never saw them as imperfections, I saw them as all-natural beauty. Beautiful.

"I'm fine," I said. I had almost forgotten the run-in I had with Calum a few minutes before. Because as soon as I had told him off about his sins, I ran out of there, my heart racing, and stepped on the gas pedal as quickly as I could.

I was scared out of my wits! But I tried my best not to show.

I've always loved the quote from Nelson Mandela, 'I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.'

I guess I'd been brave, I smiled to myself.

My mom offered that Meredith and Grandpa Chuck stay for dinner, because she was going to make some mean pumpkin pie. Even during May, Mom always acted as if it was October, and I knew Mom was really looking forward to this. To make her signature pumpkin pie. The one with over-the-top whipped cream and butterscotch crust. 

I know. It's a dentist's nightmare.

When Mom disappeared into the kitchen, Dad excused himself a while to tend to some repairs in the garage.

And that was the time I took the opportunity to tell Meredith, "Calum's a fraud."

Meredith turned to me in a blank expression. "What do you mean?"

"He's not really saved," I shook my head, my eyes downcast. "I knew it was too good to be true, anyway. Besides, the moment he told me he became a Christian didn't feel real. And... I saw him on Gravel Boulevard."

Meredith and Grandpa Chuck exchanged glances.

"At least I got to eat at Chick-fil-A," I added glumly.

"There's always going to be false converts who'll abuse God's grace," Meredith said. Her dark brown eyes gleaming. "But that doesn't mean we should give up in seeking and saving the lost. Let's just keep obeying the Lord. Who knows? Someday Calum might truly repent and heed the Gospel."

"Yeah, but when?" I said. "We all know the end of all things is near. It's evident all around us. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. I don't think there's much time to be lagging around in sin when Jesus will be coming back anytime soon."

"You're right, there isn't. But again, God is in control of everything. Let's just keep listening to His voice intently and follow every command given us." Meredith said. Grandpa Chuck and I nodded in agreement.

A few minutes later, Mom came to the living room and invited us to the dining table.

*******************************************

That night, I was leafing through the book of Matthew, and read verses that sent chills up my spine.

Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Messiah,' and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. (Matthew 24:4-8)

I thought hard, in a state of reckoning. Many have been going around claiming they are Jesus Christ, and have deceived many. And then I thought of the war of Israel and Palestine. And even with the Philippines and China. Even with America and Russia--

--And other countries, I thought, shaking my head. America loves to feud with other countries.

And then the next passage had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 24:9-14)

I closed my eyes and prayed I would stand firm to the end. But I was already determined to. This is why we need to preach more and more about the Gospel of God's Kingdom. We can't lag around and do nothing. Wherever the Lord wants to take me, I'm going.

I glanced at my wall clock and realized it was time for some shut-eye. I prayed for Calum, Amanda, and everyone who might be there to hear our last lecture in the coming weeks.

************************************

"That's crazy," Trey shook his head, folding his arms to his chest as we walked through the halls of Clarkdale High. "I was really excited for him to get to know the Lord."

"He didn't seem genuine anyway," I admitted. "It didn't come as a surprise to me, honestly."

Trey frowned and nodded, "You have a point, my good man."

"What about that girl Amanda?" He added. "Wasn't she good friends with Calum too?"

"Yeah, we were a trio," I said, then shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't seen them hanging out together lately."

Trey shrugged as well.

We walked to my locker as I turned my locker combination. As soon as the lock clicked, a pastel-pink-colored envelope slipped out and landed gently on my right foot sneaker.

Trey bent down quickly and handed it to me.

"A love note?" He said, smiling slyly.

"With all the witnessing we're doing for Jesus, I doubt girls are still interested in me." I scoffed.

I ripped the seal from the envelope and read a handwritten letter: Meet me in Jackson's Potatoes. After school.

"Jackson's Potatoes? Where's that?" Trey looked confused.

I frowned. "It's a really old and dear place to me. It was closed down two years ago already, but the place is still around and bordered so no person could sneak inside."

"So, an abandoned building from a mysterious person?" Trey cringed.

I stared down the letter, my jaw clenched. Something told me I had to go. Something told me I had to, if I was to stand firm to the end.