46 | First Club Meeting

"Is this really okay, though?" I asked as I put on my apron around my waist. I fitted the chef hat on my head, hiding all my brown hair inside. I made sure I didn't look silly, but I found it hard to not look at myself in the mirror and cringe. I did not suit as a cook.

"What do you mean?" Samuel asked, checking himself out in the mirror. His dark hair that was always tidy looked messy and unkempt every time he attempted to remove the chef hat. 

"I mean..." I glanced a look to Meredith, who was too busy mixing the dough in a bowl. "The guys would probably leave because of my cookies."

Meredith burst out into laughter. I felt offended.

"Then thank goodness our club isn't about your cookies!" she said. 

"That's comforting," I muttered. Samuel patted my shoulder.

"Don't worry, Samuel and I will help you," Meredith reassured. She threw a look at Samuel. "Isn't that right, Samuel?"

Samuel looked like he was trying hard not to laugh. "Of course."

"Laugh it up," I said.

Samuel laughed. Meredith was now too busy with the dough again. 

A few minutes later and Grandpa Chuck came to the kitchen with a video camera. He held it in front of his face and aimed at us. Samuel grinned and waved. Meredith did a thumbs-up sign with one hand. I smiled dryly and looked away.

When you're wearing the least likely clothes you thought you would wear, you too would become all camera shy.

"This will be great for you three to look at when you're older," Grandpa Chuck chuckled, looking down the camera's screen. I blushed and made myself busy by unwrapping the chocolate chips from the freezer. Samuel and Meredith got started with the ingredients and were humming themselves a tune I have never heard of. I assumed they both made it up.

When I saw that they all had it themselves, I tiptoed out of the kitchen--

"Charlie Borlock, you get back here and help us! It was your baseball team that wanted cookies!" Meredith scolded. She sounded just like my mother when she was still paying attention to me.

My shoulders sagged and I reluctantly approached them. "You guys already know what you're doing. What else can I do to help you out?"

"Now it's your turn to stir with the nuts and chocolate," she instructed, handing me the bowl. I sighed and took a pinch of nuts and chocolate chips and started to stir the sticky dough. I imagined turning the bowl upside down and the dough sticking like alien goo. 

Grandpa Chuck trotted in front of me and snapped a shot. I saw it clearly, the flash, and the familiar whirring sound you get from old cameras.

----------

The grass crunched underneath my sneakers as I trotted up towards my baseball teammates. We had all just finished a practice round for the League game that was coming soon. I knew they had to be exhausted--and hungry. It was the perfect time to let them have the cookies I miraculously made.

"You guys," I said, excitement and nervousness intertwined inside me. I ran a hand through my hair. "Our very first club meeting starts in a few minutes."

"Cookies!" Trey gushed. "I'll just go shower and change in the lockers."

"Me too," Frank chimed in, trotting after him.

The others bailed. But when I said I made them myself they started exchanging smiles and giving weird looks. I was devastated. What if they go there and hear God's Word and then reject it? What then? Will they all start to reject me too?

I was scared. All I knew was that I didn't want to lose my baseball team--especially my baseball. It was always my lifelong dream to become one of the most successful baseball players in the world. I wanted to change the world by doing what I love to do. I wanted to inspire people through my most favorite sport.

Guess I'll just have to find out, I thought anxiously.

I was sweating by the time I led seven of my teammates to the club room. Crepe paper had been posted over the double doors. It said 'GRACE CLUB' in poster paint, all in capital letters. The guys took one look at it and gave a careless shrug. I was fanning myself with the front of my shirt.

When we got there lots of people were already buzzing. I saw the long table me and Meredith and Samuel had prepared in the morning first thing. Cups and cookies and cupcakes were set all over the rectangular counter. I saw familiar people from the student council, and others from the other clubs Samuel was a part of. I also saw some people I didn't recognize. There were about thirteen people in the room, plus mine was all-over twenty, and that doesn't include me and Samuel and Meredith.

"The cookies!" Trey said, and hurried over the table. The rest of my baseball teammates snickered at his childish behavior. They seemed to like the crowded and buzzing atmosphere, I hoped they'd still like it till later. It would save everything. Including my baseball.

I saw Samuel squeezing his way into the crowd. He waved and trotted over to me.

"Hey, where are your teammates?" he asked.

"Over there at the food table," I said. "Where's Meredith?"

"Preparing her opening speech and the games and then she's going to evangelize them," he said. He took a deep breath and sighed heavily. "I'm nervous, man."

"And you think I'm not?" I snapped, gulping. I looked to the food table still to see the guys stuffing their mouths with the cookies and cupcakes. Good thing we made a whole lot. Grandpa Chuck had guessed the people first came for the food, but he prayed they'd leave with God's salvation.

"How many'd you bring?" I asked.

"Nine. One couldn't come to school at all. Heard he was sick with a fever. Darn it, right?"

I nodded. "I brought all of them. They got interested when they heard I made the cookies. They know how bad I am at it."

Samuel chuckled. "But judging by the way they're digging into your food, looks like they're wrong."

"Thank the Lord," I said with a relieved smile. Samuel chuckled.

"How many did Meredith bring?" I asked, looking around the room. I didn't see anyone in particular. Although, Meredith had never mentioned a name. I didn't think she had a real close friend other than us in school yet.

"She said she managed to bring all four," he said. "They're all four girls. Sounds like they're fans of you, Charlie. Couldn't stop asking about you to Meredith."

I cringed. And then the doors to the club swung open. I expected Meredith. I turned to see who it was.

It was Amanda and Calum.

I boggled.

"Good afternoon, newcomers!" Meredith came inside with a booming voice. She wore a denim dress. Her brown hair was the usual braid and her boots still clicked like a stomping horse.

I watched Amanda and Calum file in with the rest of the crowd. I turned to Meredith as she said a few more things about what the newcomers will expect at the club's very first meeting.

My heart pounded. God, what's going to happen now?